LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Glad to hear the Kwik AC bracket will fit perfectly. I was able to sit down today and label out every "unknown" wire in my Corvette harness today and formed a general idea of the changes/rewiring I'm going to end up doing.

I only have a few items left to pick up before I can begin dropping the engine and my transmission into the car. Once I get that all squared away I'll start working on the rest of my electrical (buying the PCM and the TAC module) and start on my fuel system; along with all the other miscellaneous things that will arise.

I still need to pick up the windage tray for an F-Body, I decided not to order it at the same time as the pan assembly because I was curious to see if I could make the Corvette one work. I wasn't able to so next week I'll be ordering the correct windage tray. I'll post some pictures of the pan swap as soon as I get it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would recommend this accessory kit (it is what I got):

http://paceperformance.com/i-6485405-19155167-gmpp-accessory-drive-system-without-a-c-fits-ls2-ls3-ls7-engines.html

This one comes WITHOUT the AC compressor, and therefore is a little less expensive. Pace is the only place I found that sells it this way.

I also used the Kwik brackets and they work perfectly, but they are designed for Sanden compressors. (Well, they may make one for other compressors too, but not to my knowledge.)

In any case, as I understand it, there are potential problems using the newer design of OE comprssor because of the "variable displacement" or something. They are not compatible with aftermarket AC if I remember correctly. I am not sure if they can be adapted to second gen factory AC or not. You might want to look into this further before you buy a compressor that you may not be able to use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Thank you, I bookmarked that link and will probably get it from Pace without the AC. That way i can buy the Kwik bracket and aftermarket Sanden AC instead of dealing with the additional bracket and GM AC from the other kit. I read some things about the GM compressors not working but never really looked into it more until I read your post.

Nice looking engine by the way!

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I have a minor update, my block was missing 5 main cap bolts in the sides of the block (I'm guessing the previous owner jacked them as extras because the others on the block had never been removed). I picked up the bolts and ordered my F-Body windage tray yesterday which is to arrive on Monday at the dealership!

5. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

Holy crap that accs kit from Pace is expensive, if u dont mind used parts u can piece together that kind of kit , thats what I did, except the Alt bracket, really not that expensive from GM

6. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

Im most likley be selling my Alt bracket in March or April cause Im gonna switch my bracket to a kwik car setup once I get my AC system

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good choice with the F-body pan.

Yeah.....but it hangs lower then the K-member by an inch or more.
    This is what can happen.....
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2484819&postcount=35

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

The CTS-V pan hangs below the K-member by less than 3/4" on my car. My headers sit a bit lower which I figured made it "safe". Never imagined hitting a raised man hole lip as in that posting. Really awful what happened.
    Nonetheless, I like having the extra oil capacity of the CTS-V pan.

9. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

I would definitely say an inch, and I also did not anticipate hitting a man hole. My headers hang lower also, but if the road is raised it the center your oil pan will hit first. I am switching to a f-body pan. It is @ least above the cross member.

10. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Today is a good day. I picked up my paycheck, deposited it, and went home and ordered my flexplate and headers off of Summit. I ordered a set of Pacesetter long tube headers and am going to heat them up and bend them until they line up. Pictures will be posted as soon as they arrive!