LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    cool.!!

2. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Looking foward to this.

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

You're on the way. Good Luck!!!

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Summit never ceases to amaze me. Less than 24 hours after I order my stuff Santa shows up in his big white sleigh to give me an early Christmas.

He arrived with two big boxes, the first of which, weighing significantly more than the other, contained my headers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell the drivers side header needs to be heated and bent in more so than the passenger. It looks like they put the headers in the box/plastic bags when the paint was still wet, no big deal though since I'm going to be repainting them after I bend them anyways. Once my dad gets his windows sealed on the gold Camaro I can bring mine in and pull the 406 and TH400 and start checking my clearances.

The second box contained my TCI Flexplate, the bolts, and the press in crank spacer!

[​IMG]

And finally I think Summit decided to sponsor my project because they sent me a free hat!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I have been looking for gauges to use and am seriously looking at that set of 6 Speedhut gauges for four hundred and some odd dollars. My only concern is if the water temp sender will work with a thread adapter in the side of the passenger head. I contacted them and they told me the probe extends half an inch beyond the threads and is 1/8th NPT but most things I've seen is long probe style senders don't seem to fit without drilling. Does anyone have prior experience with the Speedhut senders and knows whether or not it will work? I don't like the idea of drilling and tapping the head and the only alternative I see is to put a sender in the radiator hose.

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Above the starter there is a drain plug. Remove this plug, install an adapter to go to 1/8NPT and you have it. I did this on my install and it has worked well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Burt

Burt Veteran Member

I don't see why this won't work. If the element extends into the water jacket and circulating fluid, then it should properly register. I would expect there are several folks out here that will share their similar experience and expertise.

This entire project is getting very interesting.

Jim

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I am about to wire up my OBDII plug. My son has a tuner for the LS1. We are going to compare the reading on my gauge to the factory temp sensor to see if there is a difference between the readings at the head and on the block. Once I know if there is any difference, I can keep that in mind as I monitor my gauges. At this point, the gauge is reading the correct temperature according to what I have been told are normal operating temperatures for LS1 motors so I do not expect there to be much difference.

9. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

10. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

On this 6 liter I'm building, I just drilled out the pass side water temp hole in the head and tapped it to use a 3/8" NPT. No big deal on the motor stand. Then you can use a factory sender or a common aftermarket sender.