LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Sweet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go that route. Thank you! I was going to use the drilling and tapping as a last resort but I like going into the block better. I'm getting laid off today from my seasonal job so I'll have a lot more time to work on it and get it done.

2. 73Z L92

73Z L92 New Member

Drilling and tapping the head is quite easy. The head is about 3/8" thick in that area so plenty of meat for tapping. My tap even has the drill size written on the side. Use lots of lube. Go slow and keep checking as you tap for the correct depth. Grease on the tap will collect chips to keep them out of the head. It's a much cleaner setup than the adapter.

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I agree you can go either way. My son drilled and tapped his head when we put a LS1 in his '79 El Camino. And that is what he advised me to do. I was squeamish about drilling the head but I am sure I could have done it.

I was trying to hide everything I could on my motor which is another reason I chose to use the drain plug area above the starter. Unless you are under the car on a lift with a flashlight, you cannot see either the sender or the wiring.

[​IMG]

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

After looking around and reading things for hours about adapters, correct placements, water temperature differences, etc I've decided I'm just going to drill and tap it to 3/8ths NPT. Makes life much simpler and straight forward. I have also decided that I am most likely going to get myself a 4L80E instead of using my TH400. There's a local shop here in town that can build a great bullet proof trans for a decent price. It will add a delay in the progress of my build but it will be better in the long run.

I've been doing little things here and there, buying the factory oil pressure sender (Corvette engine and computer flash so it needs to read the pressure), etc. Will update when I have more info!

5. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I started searching for an ECM and TAC module a couple weeks ago but have had almost no luck at all finding a TAC module. I found one a while back but didn't jump on it back then. Now looking at the same one the price has jumped up. I haven't been able to find any used and my local junkyards have none. The ECM isn't a problem because those can be found used all over or bought remaned with a warranty for not much more (flash included); but the TAC module just happens to still be on national backorder from GM so no one is selling it. Any ideas on where I can find one or anyone have one laying around they want to part with?

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Here's one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330616830359?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

7. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Do you know if those truck TACs will work with the Corvette pedal I have or will I have to get a truck pedal? I read something somewhere about the TACs being different calibrations to pedals. Thanks for looking by the way, I really appreciate it!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

I should have a 4L80E being built for me here shortly, but in the meantime I found myself some fuel rail covers. Yes I know the engine is going into a Camaro but I figured they were appropriate seeing as the engine came out of an '01 Corvette!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  10. Burt

Burt Veteran Member

Lookin' good and very appropriate. As it is a 2001 Corvette engine, it should present itself as such. With the addition of the built 4L80E, long tube headers and emission elimination, etc, this should be an economical "rocket".

Keep up the Good Work!

Jim