LS1 into a second gen. A work in Progress

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by PhilM, Aug 9, 2006.

1. PhilM

PhilM Veteran Member

So, I have decided that i am going to do a budget beater LS1. I will keep as close as possible to a DIY install. I am not going to pay for any services other than a custom tune on the ECU and chassis dyno session. It kills me to put it on the chassis dyno, but under recommend, I am going to do it.

The Platform will be a 6.0 truck motor, iron
    Custom Ground Bullet Hyd Roller
    Patriot heads, aluminum
    All other parts other than the nitrous system and throttle body will be OE. I am installing a Steve Casner t-350. I am not doing an OD unit as I am going to see how fast I can go in a straight line and am not concerned with daily or highway driving. I do plan on driving it to the track, but peak potential is of more importance than drivablilty. I realize that some parts come cheaper than the others so I will only list the parts and a generalized running total. I am getting guidance from a local late model shop, Force Fed Performance, so I should be way ahead on the learing curve to hopfully help others out if and when they decide to do this swap.

To date, here is what I have:

1. Complete 6.0 long block, 0 miles. Intend to sell off the Aluminum heads to offest the other costs.

2. Patriot Heads. 2.05/1.60 fully ported. About 800 bones cheaper than out of the box AFR's. On order. Should be here in about 4-6 weeks.

3. Bullet Roller. 245/258 @ .050 around .550 lift.

4. Stock LS1 intake. Used.

5. Cometic Head gaskets

6. Lucas 42 # injectors

7. Aeromotive -8 fuel rails

8. MSD Coil Packs

9. MSD Wires

10. New Factory PCM

11. New GM harness. '02 Z-28 with a manual trans.

12. Comp Cams intake gaskets.

13. Already had stuff: Aeromotive Eliminator Pump, EFI reg, Y block, Fuel pump controller, Filters and lines.

14. Mixed bag of stock sensors.

Total investment to date with the above listed: $2950.

Having done many other projects and being somewhat good at estimating costs, I hope to only have about another $2500 in the total shooting match. I realize that if you were starting from scratch and had nothing, it would cost way more, but I tend to save all my collected parts...

Heres the catch on the low price so far. The engine while new, had some start up damage. This is easily fixed and I do plan on selling off the heads to recoup some of the$$. Here are some pics of the short block. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/longisland25/album?.dir=/9e7e
    This is a friends yahoo ID not mine.

The plan. To run mid 10's on a stock short block on the motor and high to mid 9's on a lot of spray.

More to come...

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck. :) Welcome to the Pro Touring club. ;)
    Mine is still awaiting the install date due to lack of Russell part # 640850 in stock. :(
    LOL......no eta either. haha

3. PhilM

PhilM Veteran Member

No Pro touring here... Just wanting a fast POS. Unforutnatley, I have the car set up for the q-mile so, lateral g's are out of the question. What in the world is a russel 640850?? And thanks...

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A fuel fitting for the 99+ Corvette fuel regulator that's recommended
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472609
    Scroll down to #4. Fuel and Plumbing.

and
    the same fitting goes on the Fuel rail to the 90 degree fuel fitting that connects
    to the braided line. 2 for the regulator, 1 for the fuel rail = 3 total.

It's the most common setup that I've seen in my research.
    Not sure what size fuel line you'll require, but if it's -6AN you're after.
    Better put your name on the list for this part with Summit now.
    I have 3 I've been waiting for since May.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS-640850&N=700+115&autoview=sku

You can opt for compression fittings instead. I'm not tho.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  5. grey_shirt

grey_shirt Veteran Member

im leaveing very very soon for isreal, but i know someone that has those on stock, i wont be back for at least 2 weeks but if by the time im back they arent in stock let me know.

its on of my old comercial customers, the guy didnt have the cash to pay for his car after the ls6 was installed, so hes parting it out to get his money out of it. It has everything a 69 camaro needs for the lsx install.

6. JeramyK

JeramyK Veteran Member

Sounds like it's going to be a sweet ride at the track. :)

I'll be going down a similar path over the next few months as I wrap up the body work on my 79. I've decided that I'm going the LSx route for my street/strip car. But I'm only shooting for 12 sec flat in the 1/4 mile. I'd love to hit high 11's but anything faster than 12.0 and I have to install a cage.

7. PhilM

PhilM Veteran Member

Ahh. so you are going to run a return less factory system. That makes sence about the fittings then. I am running a return system with areomotive rails so i can plug and play with std an fittings.

I would try a lt/ls specific shop you see in the car rags for that fitting. I betcha they would have one...