LS1 parts list for retrofit - Need input guys

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sent you a PM.

Also, yeah Mike I recently found out from 2 other sources too that the stocker Fbody pans fits with no mods.
    Thank God....

2. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Once you heard from me, your need for other sources was abruptly terminated. Case closed. LOL.

3. Aceshigh

Well I still need an Fbody pan so the cost of $200 still stands for a new one if I can't find a used one. If I was going to get the one from S+P it would be $285 core deposit, OR a core obviously PLUS another $235.......there's no way I'd pay over $500 for a f'n stock oil pan with mods.......uh uh...not happenin.

So I was happy to hear the stocker would work. Just gotta find one now, hopefully homeslice here comes through. I'm still in the dark as to how my fan harnesses get connected to teh modified harness from Speartech with the relays.....that will be cleared up once Speartech actually decides to answer my emails.

As I said before, ALL parts and recommendations are welcome for those that know something that I don't. All this, yeah it's out there doesn't help me without links.....or part #'s, or anything......so if anyone can enlighten me, please do with part #'s or links..... :)

4. Sledghammer

Sledghammer New Member

Hi guys I am Primates friend that Offered to give Aceshigh a WRITTEN estimate of $4500 to do the install of his GTO engine aperantly some people think you should give a low estimate and get the guys car in the shop then tell him what the real price will be, or another way to do it is nickel and dime the guy till the project is done. Aceshigh you want a estimate for $3000 but we both know thats not what it's going to cost to make that car driveable.

I on the other hand believe you should give him a honest answer up front.
    Thats what Aces asked for and thats what I gave him. My estimate is not based on what I think it MIGHT cost to do it, it is based on the what it DOES COST to do it RIGHT. I have done this type of swap before and prove my ability to make a swap perform like it should by driving it 80 miles a day.

ATTN jakeshoe
    The reason you wouldn't want to order the whole setup from Rock valley is that it would cost more.

ATTN jakeshoe
    The reason you dont run a TPI fuel pump is because it WONT WORK with a LS-1 the engine would fall on it's face.

ATTN jakeshoe
    The reason you don't use braided lines for the fuel system is because it's not
    cheaper.

ATTN jakeshoe
    The reason you use a factory oil pan is because you will have more than the $200 purchase price in labor and aluminuim to weld the GTO pan and you still would have to modify the pickup.

ATTN jakeshoe
    The $100 air cleaner is a 90 fernco a straight fernco a K&N cone filter and enough polished stainless pipe to get it away from the hot air coming off the radiator.

ATTN jakeshoe
    We are still waiting for you to post the price and part# for the GM truck throttle cable that is such a better deal than the Lokar.

ATTN jakeshoe
    You said the fuel filter with regulator is a $20 part its actually $38 thats almost a 100% miss quote on 1 part so please don't try to tear apart a rock solid estimate that I am willing to back up within 10% in writing as stated in other post is the law.

ATTN Aceshigh
    Your current list does not include
    engine oil and filter $20.00
    trans fluid filter and gasket $30.00
    antifreeze 3 gal $7 a gal =$21.00

Someone needs to step up and give Aceshigh a legal binding written estimate (+-10%) that is all the parts and labor to do this swap for less than the too high price of $4500 that I gave him ANY TAKERS????

Thanks
    Jim

5. primate

primate Veteran Member

and also be reminded that you said on an earlier post you would rather be highballed than be nickeled and dimed.

also keep in mind we have to be this way because we have not even seen the car. ace doesnt even know if he has the maf sensor...

you want to know why tom izzo didnt answer you? because of crap like this.
    he probably deals with a hundred emails a day about ls1 swaps. time costs money.
    noone gives you a quote, and when someone does, you post it on an internet forum to try to make us out to be the bad guys/thieves...

how about you call tom izzo or tony palermo at 12:30 in the morning at his house and see what kind of customer service you get....

and the list doesnt include radiator hoses, aldl harness, computer mount, the dual exhaust or the detailing of the underhood you specifically requested....

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

7. Aceshigh

Dude, slow your roll first of all with your accusations
    :rolleyes: This is HARD TO FIND knowledge.....do you realize that...I'm sharing it.
    #1. Put yourself in my shoes. Okay, lets start there.
    #2. I am giving you the amount of trust that I can at this point with this being honest.
    #3. I'm NOT making you out to be thieves, I don't know WHERE you came up with that :confused:
    I even stated that I COMPLETELY appreciated Jim doing this for me, yeah, it's in the original post.
    #4. What I AM asking for, is 2nd opinions (on parts), is that a crime in your eyes by doing this??? Seriously.....why does that bother you??
    #5. I give 2 f***s what Tom Izzo will do for me, over 10 people I've talked to told me to stay away from Speed Inc.
    #6. The specifics of our conversations.....short conversations with Speed Inc were abrupt and unclear....and not enough to make ANYONE feel comfortable in retaining their services......so until you know what was specifically said, please do not pretend that "this kinda crap" is why he wouldn't work out an estimate.

NOW after speaking with Jim, he helped me realize 2 things WHICH I CLEARLY Told him over the phone on our last call.
    #1. The $3,000 I thought I could do it for .....well I was clueless and he helped me realize for what I wanted I was stoned.....[​IMG]
    #2. He knew what he was doing and was the first to give me a fair estimate WITH a detailed summary.

So DO NOT sit there and accuse me of making you out to be thieves when all I'm asking is for alternatives to the parts lists I have before I lock it in. Do you understand ??? Damn man, can't a guy ask for opinions ?? I didn't start that first post saying that Jim was trying to F.... me over okay??? I said he was cool enough to get a list together for me, and I need opinions on shortcuts. Comprende' ?? Take a chill pill. I can't get into this $4500 cost range without doing my homework enough to make me feel that it's the BEST I can do for the parts. The PARTS is what I think is expensive and that HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Jim, that's just one of those "IT IS WHAT IT IS"......so leave it be, and stop thinking I'm blackballing you......damn. Seriously....I don't know HOW you got that from my thread.....I seriously don't.

Jim, I appreciated your time, you just have to let me do this my way first. Give me some time to get more info on different parts options.
    Also, in Jakeshoe's defense he's a good guy, he didn't need the asspounding you just gave him here. seriously he's helped me out alot even if
    his opinions differ, that's what I'm looking for is alternative opinions to compare. After reading my novel here are we understood now Jim and Tom ??

I know this, you helped me realize that, like I said, I'm trying to compare parts options first. Give me time to do that.
    When I said "this is ridiculous" you have to realize I didn't know it was going to cost this much and I'm frustrated, BUT NOWHERE in there did I
    state your'e trying to screw me over, I DID NOT STATE THAT ANYWHERE......if anything I know you're trying to help me out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  8. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

There is more than one way to handle just about every aspect of this swap....that is why it does not lend itself to a "cast in stone" sort of quotation.

Experience is especially valuable for work like this. I could do a second swap in 1/3rd of the time the first one took me just because I would avoid the many blind alleys and re-works that I encountered the first time. However, even experienced professionals will probably encounter some sort of unforeseen problem along the way with a job of this scope. This project involves the entire driveline, cooling, electrical and instrumentation systems. Doable? Of course (jeez...if I could do it.....). Easy? Nope.

9. Aceshigh

I wasn't aware that Jim needed to be paid for his time he took to help me out.
    IF that is how he feels, I'm more then happy to give him some money for his troubles THUS far.

Is that what you're saying?? poo, ask and it's done, then we can all move on.
    I thought he was a fellow hot rodder trying to help me out......if he wants money for his time that's fine.
    If anyone understands that time is money, BELIEVE me I do.
    I made offers to a few members already if I had to use their knowledge alot, I'd pay them for it.

This doesn't mean I'm not using him like I said.....it's gonna take me a few weeks to hash this out completely
    so my deadline is kaput unless I can get it figured out VERY soon. This total cost is 50% higher then my expectations....

I have to gather alot of money to do this Tom, you have to realize this is costing ALOT more then I expected and I
    just don't have $4,500 set aside for this at the moment.
    I just spend $4700 last month.....on the motor and trans
    It's going to take some time now that he made me realize it's this costly.....not for GETTING the money,....
    .it's really for me to decide if this is still something I want to do. ;)

This is tearing my annual budget for ALL my plans and my new house purchase up........just understanding and patience is all I'm asking for.

ALSO just for the rest of the members , this is Jim's 85 Delta 88 he put an LS1 into and completely restored as his daily driver.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267

10. Sledghammer

Sledghammer New Member

Aceshigh I have no problem with you at all, the main reason I got such a case of the redass is the way some people read a couple of stories about a subject and now they are the expert and feel the need to try to paint others in a less then favorable light. You owe me nothing for my time, I would of done that for anyone. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call. Also let it be noted that if anyone wants to give a ass ripping they should be ready to recieve one because I do my homework before I open my mouth.

Thanks
    Jim