LS1 questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Okay, so I'm on ebay trying to find what I need to buy for my LS1 swap.
    So I need educated opinions here on what I need to look for as a complete package. I'm thinking of POSSIBLY later on adding a SC or Turbo so I'm not sure what a stock motor can handle or if I should piece my motor together....which would be the better route to go. I have ZERO clue on what the cost is for a turbo LS1 if I did all the work like LIL SS did. I thikn over $10,000 or so.

Maybe just a stock LS1 for now, but I need to know if these prices are ludicrous since it doesn't have the ECM or wiring harness it seems a bit high , anyone know what the ECM and Harness should cost me if I got this ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...ewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8030452201QQrdZ1

Oh, and I already have a 700R4 installed.
    Also is the 2001 + LS1's the ones that come with the LS6 intakes on them in the Corvettes???

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  2. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stock the LS1 is pretty stout and will handle a supercharger or turbo in stock form. (Of course you can go overboard and blow it up, but there a number of kits out there for the Camaros.)
    Go to LS1Tech.com for more info. Look for a guy named Parrish, he's got a really sick turbo truck. I think he's got 1000hp, but I don't know how stock the motor is. He is also on FullSizeChevy.com
    If you had a 4L60E then you really would be set with the conversion. Actually, since I recommend the change, I'd say go with a 4L65E. Or if you plan major power go for the 4L80E, but then you will need to make a couple more changes.

3. Aceshigh

:confused:

No no, I'm not going that deep into the pockets for it.

I'm looking for the cheapest/ best power and most efficient for a daily driver able car. The SC and Turbo were just ideas, not practical in the end unless I can still get decent economy with it, otherwise I might as well toss a BBC in it.

4. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try to find one from a manual transmission car and get the wiring harness and ECU and you should be all set.

5. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

If anyone wants me to check stuff out for them at that joint, just lemme know....I'm like 30 min from there....

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fparts' prices have gone up a bit, eh?

7. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

correct 01 + f-body motors have the ls6 intake.

my plan is to leave the motor stock for now & get it up & running, then later on add a big cam & heads & 100 shot.

8. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

and to answer your turbo/supercharger question. The stock ls1 motors are Ok till about 550 - 600 RWHP with good a/f tunning much more than that & you will need to get forged internals.

9. Aceshigh

Yes, they have. Kinda sucks because late last year I was sooooo close to buying a complete LS1 from a 2004 GTO with 6K on it for $4500. Now he jacked up the prices for an incomplete one with 16K to the same price no ECM, and no harness. :(

From where??? Fparts ??? If you are I'll keep that in mind.

Why?? Okay, this brings me to my next question. I have a 700R4 in there and my builder told me that if I put an LS1 in, it needed to be "notched" or something for the bellhousing to properly mate up to it. Will an LS1 from a manual already have this ?? I have no idea where to start so I need to know ALL of this, and no I don't know what kind of car my 700R4 came out of. I can find out if I knew where to look.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  10. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Yes 30 min (or so) from Fparts.

:)

I'd hook a brutha up ;)