LS1 questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:cool: Kewl, I'll get back to you on that in the Spring when it's buying time.

2. gpierce

gpierce Veteran Member

I don't know about your 700R4 question, but if you are going to stay with auto, I'd suggest getting a whole setup at once with 4L60E, wiring harness and ECM. You won't regret going to an electronic trans, they work so much nicer than the older stuff.

I would not buy a used setup without the ECM and harness included. I can't think of any junk yards that will sell you these on their own because of people wanting the whole setup for swaps. Then you're looking at new parts and $$$$.

Greg

3. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recommended going with a manual harness/ECU if you use the 700-R4 because this way the computer is not looking for the transmission to control.
    If you have a 700 you have an older transmission with the typical Chevy bolt pattern. There is a difference (an extra bolt, I think) on the LS1, but I am under the impression that it's not a big deal to make the change.
    What the your transmission came out of is irrelevant at this point. If it was a 4L60E we might need to know.
    Like Greg suggests, getting the complete package (Engine, trans) will work better than using the older transmission, though it will work either way.

4. Aceshigh

It's not quite irrelevant then is it ???
    I need to know because I spent $2500+ on this beatch and installation costs.
    Plus I need to know for the purpose of not finding out when I have my LS1 dangling from a cherry picker only to find out it won't mount right.

I'm trying to do a "to do' list here.
    Are there serial numbers on Trans for Identification ??
    Maybe I'll call my builder and ask him, I can't remember what the hell I asked him before.

The manual ECU and harness makes sense though. I'll keep that in mind.
    I won't buy another trans unless it was a T56 but the cost to convert my car exceeds $2500, and I won't pay for that.

5. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

the ls1 bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as th older style, minus one bolt. (The old style has one thats missing on the ls1) I would think you would be ok just using 5 bolts instead of 6.

6. Aceshigh

IF that is the case, then I think I'll be fine. Well....I'll have to get a few professional trans guys opinions first...wouldn't want to destroy anything after investing $10K on a motor. :D

7. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What I meant was that the 700-R4, which is non-electronic (as opposed to the 4L60E) is always the older style transmission and will always have the typical SBC bolt pattern.
    The 4L60E was available in the old and the new style, and we would need to know what year and model.
    Since you have a rebuilt transmission by a good builder I don't think the model it came out of will make any difference, as it should be better than any other year/model of 700-R4.