LS1 rebuild questions

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by cubangt, Feb 3, 2014.

1. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

ls6 cam wont get you a lope at idle.

2. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yea lets see what options they come up with.. hopefully there is atleast one option we can afford and do ..

3. cubangt

Well I now know its the flexplate :) I lifted the car today, got under it and using my stethoscope listened to everything I could reach with it and nothing sounded off(on the top end)

Got under the car, checked the trans, oil pan, exhaust everything to make sure and the annoying tick was strong and coming from where the starter and trans meetup.. so now the question... Do I do the job myself or have it done.. I know im capable of doing it, I have everything I would need.. except no garage to do it in, so it would be done in the driveway and if its something that cant be done in a weekend, then guess ill have to call around for quotes..

4. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

While you are in there, go ahead and have them replace the rear main seal.

5. cubangt

Yea ive been watching some videos and reading up on some of the items needed to perform the install myself.. some say expect a day or two, others say a day, I would be working in the driveway with a pain in the @$$ HOA association, so if I attempted, I would need to be able to finish in a weekend, starting Saturday and being done by sunday.

Are, after viewing and reading everything I have all the tools, I feel I can do it, just wondering if anyone else has done this and what time it took.

Ill be calling around to get quotes on installing the flexplate and rear main seal.

6. cars4life

cars4life Veteran Member

I'm sure you are capable of doing it. It would be helpful to have a helper when it's time to get the transmission mated to the engine. It's a one day job if your organized.

7. cubangt

Yea I can find someone to help when that time comes.. just need to wait til the weather warms up a bit..

8. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Asking an engine builder if your engine needs rebuilding is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.

If he didn't take the time to diagnose your issue and instead threw the rebuilt at you, I would be leery of the guy.

Your problem was diagnosed over the internet with a sound clip but he couldn't tell in person?

9. cubangt

yea the issue was found over the internet and getting under the car myself again to use my stethoscope and listening to everything again.. and once I touched the area next to the starter on the motor side that clicking was extremely loud.

10. mikespeed95

mikespeed95 Veteran Member

Where in Katy are you located?

Bumbera's is a pretty big performance shop in old Katy, they may be able to help confirm your diagnosis.

If you just need the transmission pulled and the flex-plate replaced PM me and I might be able to help you out, or I may know someone who can.