LS1/T56 in a 79 Z-28 Auto

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Jordan Williamson, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jordan Williamson

Jordan Williamson New Member

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse so feel free to just post links to other threads that you know of. I have a 79 z-28 I am ls swapping. I also have a complete 99 z28 I am using as a donor (drivetrain, brakes, everything). For the most part,I know what I need to do motor-wise for the swap but I keep finding mixed results for the trans info (Crossmember, cutting trans tunnel)
    My 2nd gen has a 383/th350 now with a 12 bolt and 3.73's
    What are yall using for the crossmember and what console works best?
    Should I use the 79 or 99 driveshaft
    What are some of the biggest issues you have? IMO the hardest part will be hooking up/mounting the slave/master cylinder and pedals due to the auto firewall.
    What additional parts will I need that I can't get off my donor.
    Headers Recommendations?

Side notes: I plan on using Dakota digital gauges and not running AC currently

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Here’s what I did on my 69 Camaro swap and I also had the donor car

I used the engine, harness trans and the radiator from the donor car.

I sold the harness and I think I sent the computer to affordable efi and their reflash came with another computer plus I also used the computer holder from the donor car.

The motor/trans mounts I got from brp but they are expensive however they sit the motor just right at least to me and allowed me to put the engine with a t56 with only minimal cutting for the shifter.

If like the way it’s centered

The radiator and the fans I used from the donor car

I also used most of the wiring from the starter and battery off the donor car.

The shifter came from summit they have a few options.

The console will probably have to be pushed back almost 4 inches if I remember correctly

The gauges have options now, there’s a company on eBay who makes some digital ones for about 250-450 depending on the deal

I used the Holley pan but I think your pan will clear because your linkage is in the back.

For fuel I used the tanks inc with in tank pump and the fuel line I got on eBay. I think I bought 25 feet

That’s all I can pretty much remember for now since this was a while ago

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You will need a custom driveshaft for your T56 as it's even longer than a Turbo 400 so a shorter driveshaft is in order for that swap. I did this in my 68 Bird and thought a 4th gen would work but it was 3.5" too short. Looks like for the 1st gen is around 45" center to center of the u-joint caps, most likely a little longer on a 2nd gen car.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The stock sec gen driveshaft is like 48”. For a T56 swap I was using the mustang 45.5” driveshaft. It was a little short...46” would have been better.

A stock 4th gen is like 42”. Not gonna work in the 79