LS1 vs LQ vs efi 383?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dentaku, Jun 12, 2012.

1. dentaku

dentaku Member

Im starting to figure out my engine plan for my 81, and there are too many options. I want to daily drive, and do a few autocrosses, so EFI seems like a no brainer.

My question is what is going to work best for me? I want something with ~400 hp and good street manners

my options so far seem to be:
    • LS1 - i like the fact that the block is aluminum, but they are a bit more expensive
    • LQ4/9 - Cheaper than the LS motors but heavier, have to change over to car front accessories
    • EFI 383 - Powerful, less swap hassles. still have to incur the cost of getting the car set up for EFI
    For the LS motors, will a cam change, headers, and an intake get me to 400 hp?

Also, are the FAST intakes worth it for what im wanting to do? and is the holley engine controller worth messing with? Finally what are people doing for A/C with ls swaps? living in texas i cant do without it.

thanks for any input

2. brownz

brownz Veteran Member

I say ls either way

I have a 2002 ls1 t56 in my 79 and just made 396hp at the rear wheels with just a cam, headers under drive pulley and ported throttle body. could have made over 400 if I removed my air intake and had smaller rear wheels.

3. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I WAS a dyed in the wool big block guy but after doing a few LS swaps I'm 100% sold on these engines, they're simply better in every way than the gen I sb. 400 hp with either engine listed should be easy to obtain and be street friendly. The Fast intake isn't worth the investment until you get into the upper horsepower regions of these engines where you need a bigger throttle body and injectors. I'd probably opt for the LQ engine simply because of the bigger bores which gives you more options for the better flowing factory heads (L92's).

4. ed nash

ed nash Veteran Member

I wouldnt think twice about it any ls based motor is better in my eye than a sbc . i was a bbc fan but was bit by the ls bug and love the easy start ups and great power thy make in stock form you will be happy!

71 rs/ss396 seem you were having a blast in ga last week in the auto cross .you were running the hell out of the new camaro. we were in the show side with the 71 rs hugger orange camaro .

5. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

That would get you to 400hp on a 5.3 let alone a lq or ls1

Also you may look in to finding a vortec max or hummer h3 in a junk yard that could get you in to an aluminum block at a lower price point and you can still bore them out to ls size

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Easily.....

You can get a used near 400hp Vortec (LS) based 6.0L engine for just under $2G's nowadays.
    It's the parts and pieces to get it all in the car that nickel and dime you though.

7. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

I just got a lq4 for 550 granted its high mileage but half of what the 5.3 in my suburban has on it

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You can get a running LT1 Camaro or Firebird netting 300 hp complete car for
    about what just an LS1 will set you back, and the car will yield many of the $$
    parts that nickle and dime you during the install. Trans, radiator, fans etc are
    all there for the taking, and you can hear it run/drive it before buying. This will
    give you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Then, you can pick up an LT1 block on
    craigslist and build a 400 hp LT1 with Edelbrock parts taking your time as you
    enjoy driving around your EFI 2nd Gen. Trust me, even a 260k mile LT1 is quite
    a lot of fun. When you complete your Edelbrock build, you can swap the engine
    out and sell the running long block to recoup some costs.

If you are dead set on an LS1, or find a hella deal after, most the LT1 parts can
    be made to work with the LS1 harness, engine and trans I have heard.

While we all know the LSx engines have Tiger Blood, the LT1 isnt a slouch.

Tom

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can get an LT1 in a car and running for $800 ?? :eek:

Yes, I'm just ball bustin.....but that is what 1 member here paid for a low mileage LS1.
    Considering these cars don't see more then a few thousand miles a year.....IF that....
    High mileage really doesn't make a big difference IMO.

Like you said, alot of these newer engines live quite a long life.
    My GTO LS1 salvage motor had 26K on it when I bought it used in 2005. It's lucky to have 28,000 miles on it now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  10. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

LS1 gets my vote. I've swapped many cars. First we did was an LT1, and after going to an LS series motor, I would never recommend the LT1. They were phased out after only 4 years for a reason. As far as the 400hp goes, that will be cake.

Definitly get a pullout from a 2001-2002 camaro/firebird as they will have the LS6 intake, correct oil pan and accessories for your swap. you can pickup swap plates for the motor mounts for ~$60 and the stock trans X-member can just be moved back. Dynatech makes some real nice 1 7/8" LT swap headers that fit excellent and you can pick them up for under $500 out the door. The cam swap will be somewhat pricey (plan on an easy $800).

If your interested in buyin a motor, shoot me a pm. I've been dealing with F-body LS1 pullouts for about 5 years now and know them like the back of my hand