LS1 vs LQ vs efi 383?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dentaku, Jun 12, 2012.

1. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

even with an intake and exhaust, the lt1 still wont run with a completely stock LS1.

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Yes it will, though chances are it will be right behind. Stock vs stock they are
    quite close in the 4th Gen. Technically you are talking about a 1996 Camaro SS
    vs a 1998 Camaro Z28 :

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.6

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.5

Looks like it CAN run with it. Like I said, the differences are exaggerated toward
    the L$1. Maybe to justify the added expense, but the numbers dont lie. Its like
    a trip to the drag strip or on the dyno. It's the ultimate humbler.

Tom

3. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

I had a friend with a 93 Z that ran 13.4 with just an exhaust cutout. Not even a tune. My 2000 Trans Am was fast, it had the 4l60E, but I don't think it was doing 13.4's. Damn thing never got better than 16mpg either, no matter what I did. My 355 get's 20mpg with a carb!

ANYWAY, my vote goes to the LT1, and that's also what I'm looking to put into my 79. The single biggest reason is that I LOVE LOVE LOVED the 4l60E in my Trans Am, and the LT1 is the easiest and cheapest way to get that trans in my car. Plus I have manual steering, so the alternator is the only accessory on my engine. Plus I can reuse my headers, which is a big plus to me (spent a lot of time on my exhaust) And I don't like setback motor mounts etc, anything that's going to screw with driveline angles is out of my grasp so I avoid it. Doesn't a 383 LT1 cost the same to build as a gen 1? Efi connection even has a really cool kit that gets rid of the opti spark, and lets you use an LS computer to control the motor and trans, and use coil per plug ignition. And aren't the cams for an LT1 cheaper than the cams for an LS?

4. andrew69_04

friend of mine in KS had a bone stock automatic 2000 Z28 with the 2.73 rear. he was pulling consitent 12.8's at the wichita track.

My brother had a 94 Z28. we put in a CC503 cam, shift kit, LT headers, CAI, and a full true dual exhaust system. My WS6 only having a catback and a air lid blew his doors off. I think we have a video of it up on the net somewhere.

On another note, I've got 2 guys local to me that have some show quality muscle cars (62 Nova SS, and a 67 Nova SS). Both have LT1 setups in them. After riding in a few of my projects (all LS based of course) They both have placed orders with me (one for and LS1, and the other an LS2) to swap there cars with. if the comparison was "that close" why make the change their doing?

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Hard to say, the LSx will be faster, and perhaps they set theirs up poorly and
    you have done well getting the most out of your installs? Seat of the pants
    meter will side with the LSx ... I never said the LT1 was more powerful, just
    that its no where near as bad as those with LSx's claim. For most doing these
    swaps for EFI the LT1 will put a wide smile on their face for less money.

My daily driver is a 2004 GTO, but I still love driving my '95 Impala SS clone.
    Its not as fast, and its heavier, but I just love that LT1. Different feel. I miss
    my old 93 Z28 too .. at 265k miles it would burn both 275/40s thru 2nd.

Tom

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah I'm not sure what it adds to be honest.

As for the Y-pipe, no. It's untouched.
    His car was tuned with a Hyper programmer of some sort too.

As for the F-body VS Vette LT1 25hp, I just assumed it was a different tune.
    Same as the F-body VS Vette LS1's with the difference.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

There may be a tune difference also, but there was mechanical restrictions
    built into the Camaro to reduce HP. They ended up doing away with them
    by the time the LS1 came along, that is evident in the addition of a second
    CAT in 1995 for an improved exhaust flow. The later LT1 was rated at 285.

I think initially they didnt want the Camaro to compete with the Corvette, but
    after the second HP war was on against Ford, they strayed from that. The GT
    Mustang was on par with the LT1 powered Impala SS in 1996. 4200 pounds!

Tom

8. andrew69_04

The real comparison would be putting two stock cars on the rollers LT1 vs LS1 to get a good comparison of real HP numbers. I have never trusted manufacturer's Rated HP as they are usually a joke and have been since the 60's

9. dentaku

dentaku Member

I would say my max is around 4k. Lots of great opinions in here guys. I think ive crossed out the possibility of the 383 at this point, so im still looking at the pros and cons of the other two motors.

If i get a 6.0l pull out, what do i need to change? some older threads that i see say i need to change everything, while newer ones just say i need to change the intake and the maybe water pump.

10. andrew69_04

If your interested in getting an LS1 motor/trans pullout, I've got 2 for sale. shoot me a pm if your interested