LS1 vs LQ vs efi 383?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dentaku, Jun 12, 2012.

1. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With the LQ4/LQ9 you'll need to change the intake (although IIRC some have said it'll fit under a hood with a cowl scoop. The oil pan hangs LOW so you'll want to be safe and get an F-body pan. The front accessories are MEH and some have cobbled it to work and others just saw screw it and went with a Quick bracket setup, F-body Set up or the Corvette setup.

The water pump is another area where some just reroute the hoses to make it work and some just get a new one altogether.

Honestly np matter what you do you'll be spending money on the car for the swap just depends how much you want to do. Again with the LQ4/Q9 do you want to run a 4l60 or a 4L80 transmission? you'll need to think of what to do for a crossmember with the 4L80e, I bought mine i"ll post up some pics of it when I get home.

I would honestly say to try and find an Lq4/Q9 and bite the bullet with some of the added cost. I went with an LQ4 bottom end, muscle car oil pan, LS3 heads and Intake and a custom cam. For my accessories I found some on Ebay and bought the whole thing for around $250 shipped. Deals are out there to be had you just have to look.

Look on LS1tech, Corvette Forums. GTO forums you name it if you need a part scour the internet because things are always cheaper on forums where everyone is modding and selling their stock stuff CHEAP.

2. dentaku

dentaku Member

Thanks for the heads up, im currently moving houses right now so it will be a bit before im ready to buy anything. Im just information gathering at this point.

Im planning on running a t56 for the trans, so any lq motor will need a new flywheel. Ill have to look over all the prices and try an come to a decision.

3. WTR's camaro

WTR's camaro New Member

If you go looking around you can find a lq 4 block for a reasonable price. add the usual cam heads possibly go to 799 or the 243 casting heads. call up engine power systems and have him spec a custom cam grind. and if you are on a budget find somewhere to pick up a used ls 6 intake and go that route. if you have the money a fast 90/90 or a fast 102/102o to setup would be nice but the gains will be minimal.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have two flywheels for sale that are used.

If you're interested. Cheap, one's a 4th gen F-body and the other is a 2004 GTO IIRC.
    Which is memory serves.....is the same as the F-body's, the LS2 I think it changed.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

F-body LT1 had a T56 behind it 1993-1997 ..... so again a donor gets you all
    that you need to make the swap.;)

If you penny pinch, you could do the whole swap for your 4k engine budget.

Tom

6. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

I went to the Goodguys car show in ohio this past weekend. I must say, the majority of the cars there were all LS swapped. It was quite funny as my buddy with me saw a few older restoration projects with the LT1 in them, and all he could say was they look way out of place compared to all the other cars out there.

Spend the money on an LS based platform. Aside from the higher cost, you wont lose any money on your swap if you decide to sell in the future

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Lemmings follow other lemmings off cliffs - it doesnt make them right. Keep
    on justifying the added expense soon you will convince yourself.;)

I dont see this being true at all. ANY swap you will lose money on.:rolleyes:

Tom

8. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

I've built probably 8 swapped cars and have never lost a dime, unless I was to say I charged myself like $100/hr in labor

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You must have some amazing sources for cars and parts. I was considering
    time invested. If you are building for yourself, you can write that off. but if it
    is for resale you have to count your time too. Just finishing an LT1 swap and
    being ultra careful in my costs, I would say I'm thousands of dollars over the
    resale price of a 1978 Camaro. After paint and finishing the interior I would
    be hard pressed to get half of my investment and thats if I write off the cost
    of the car since my father-in-law gave it to my wife years ago.

Granted I did have a couple extra items I needed to purchase to pass smog in
    California, but thats maybe a couple hundred dollars.

An EFI swap is very expensive to do. At the moment we are trying to figure
    out HOW to insure the car, as State Farm refuses to cover it over the cost of
    a '78 Camaro, considering how they screwed my wife over when she totalled
    the 1995 Camaro Z28 a few years back :I fear even driving the '78 now. I've
    tried for YEARS to get her to dump them and move to Allstate.

Tom

10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lets not let this descend any further into a Lt1 vs LSx pissing match.