LS2 / 4L65E management - self learning / tuning

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by GDSmith, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM.

1. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Like many of you I am an “Old School Guy”, had my share of classics and muscle over the years. 5-years ago I had a shop install an engine / trans package out of a 2006 GTO along with a bunch of other upgrades into our 73 RS / LT / Z28.
    I’m really struggling grasping the electronic engine / trans management and it sickens me every time it needs something repaired seems no less then $500 and it is ALWAYS something related to the engine/trans management.
    It’s time to replace the 13-year old system install one of the smart self-learning engine management systems.
    Looking for feedback of the options out there you have installed, unless there is something new out there I realize the DBW has to be replaced with a cable, please reply your experiences there also.

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

After having just finished a 10 year Ls swap myself, the one big take away was electronics - had to fight the urge to change stuff from what I had (OEM converted harness and E38 ecm) since it would require either a tuner or buying the program license and learning. the entry cost would be too much for me. Holley seems to have lots of options and have been looking at the Edelbrock pro flo 4. Edelbrock (seems to be a CAN BUS system like holley) has a Gen IV 58x harness and ecu for under $1k. swap the harness and ecu, upload a similar engine spec program and make further changes yourself. Check the compatibility of your gauges too but you’re already running a swap so should be fine. Probably only limited by how wild your combo is or going to be.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 9:47 AM
  3. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will be the devil's advocate here. HPTuners costs far less than a new engine control system. The GM stuff is very good. 2006 is pretty straight forward for engine control. No AFM, VVT, etc. It's worth it for the diagnostics alone, regardless of whether you change anything.

Goat Rope Garage on YouTube is very good for explaining GM and HP Tuners. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_LcnBKwJqJOiGoCRT5SCw

Once you have HPTuners, it is very useful as a diagnostic tool on any other vehicle you have.

4. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Just to be clear, I am not saying the OEM stuff isn’t good. It is very capable, such as the E38 ECM being PWM capable. Depends on what you are beginning with and/or trying to overcome.

5. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Go for a holley setup and never look back. I've never liked hp tuners and reusing the stock gm stuff, sure it's great but it's also ridiculous when you look at how many different maps and scenarios you're trying to figure out to tune your hot rod! Go dominator or terminator x, setup your timing to be conservative, auto tune the rest and go drive your car.

Cheers

6. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Go with the New Holley Terminator X and never look back. Best out their easy

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The Holley and MSD kits do work, but I wonder what you leave on the table with them. I would like to see a comparison of a set-up on each control from a performance (hp) and drivability stand point.

I’m not a big fan of a single O2 on the Term X. either...