LS3 accessory drives

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by TCinthe6, Dec 17, 2018.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ The Holley and the VA units are nice. VA it top of the line with ARP hardware, DSE pump etc...Too bad the PS belt wrap is not to my liking. Those kits give you the tightest accessories to practically run the set-ups in any car. However, I'm headed towards the Wegner Drive. Im selling my new VA kit.

Attached Files:

2. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got the Drive Junky front drive setup. Its the best one out there in my research. I like how it comes with two idle pulleys so PS pump has more surface on the belt. The power steering pump is also a nicer one than the normal stuff. I just got the ls3 427 from Texas Speed two days ago and I am mounting stuff up. Trying to figure out the crank key and ATI installation. The 'woodruff' key is about 1/3" from end of crank so lining it all up perfectly before pushing on is key. Now I could simply pull the key since I am not using a belt driven huffer and all but since its already on the engine and balancer is already having key way.

3. badazz81z28

I really wanted the Drive Junky Drive too...It looks nice and High Quality, But the company worries me. You send him emails, responds once and you never hear from him again. There is a 4-6 week wait...AND some of his dealers dropped him because of long lead times and broken promised delivery dates. I'm concerned about future support if something breaks! The Wegner kit also has the additional pulley for PS wrap and the PS pump is not a concern. However it is a GM Type II pump so you can always swap pumps out if you want. There are plentiful of folks here that use the Wegner with proven years of hard and high RPM use...Honestly I couldn't find a single person who is actually using the DJ set-up. All of them seem to be sitting in a box, mocked up on an engine, or installed on a stalled project.
    If you compare the DJ to the Wegner, the only difference is the water pump and the PS pump.

Seeing how Schwartz Performance, Texas Speed, GM performance and many other reputable shops are advertising and selling Wegner must mean something good.

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Seems expensive too. I really don't like these kits that come with everything. What if you already have a perfectly good alternator or want to run a different one, what if you don't want to run their brand of PS pump? What if you don't run AC??

5. badazz81z28

I do know Drive Junky has a NON AC version that can allow AC to bolt on down the road. I have also seen delete options offered from Wegner dealers...Wegner will build the kit you want it. I already know for sure they will upgrade the PS pump and/or the alternator to a 225amp if requested.

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

it's all a moot point for me - I prefer to run my PS on the head-mount drivers side for best gravity feed and also because I don't have lower mounting holes in my block. SBC not a LS.

7. linenoise

Thats funny badazz81! I ran into that. emails not getting any love at all. I called him, nothing. So than I emailed him on a couple emails I found on net and facebook and I am like your not responding man I want to order! He called right about 15 min later and was with me from there out on rest of order every time I emailed him. Hes just REALLY busy. Took about month after order to get it. BUT wow what quality, so glad I got that from him. Nice guy too once you actually get to him. I got the accessories direct from jegs and the rest from him.

carr911 likes this.
  8. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Wegner drives are great. Seen them on the dyno running at 8500 rpm with them. Talk to Casey at Wegners. They have great engines also

9. linenoise

One more thing on the Drive Junky. You can have him remove any accessory you want for cost reduction if you already got one. harmonic balancer, ac comp, etc can all be removed and cost lowered per what you need.

10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

oh that's a good tidbit of knowledge ! thanks.