LS3 accessory drives

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by TCinthe6, Dec 17, 2018.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I had F-body accessories when I was using the stock frame. Yes a drop pitman and it will barley clear the alternator and work great. The F-body serpentine will not fit the DSE frame which drove me to quickly buy the Corvette accessories.

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I meant a Chevette! :confused:

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Dave
    I started out with a 2005 GTO setup with my LS2 using Holley engine mounts, the alt hit the frame and the steering. I looked at Kwick and Holley front drive brackets but couldn't decide which route to take.. I didn't want to spend a few grand because I was really building a driver, not show or race car.. I ended up finding a used Corvette setup that included the PS pump and reservoir, PS/Alt bracket and the AC bracket for $100 on CL, then I sold the GTO setup to offset the cost... I then bought the Holley spacer kit that you would use for the Holley front drive setup which is based on the Corvette, that spaced the Corvette setup out to the front pulley grooves.. The spacer kit also includes the AC spacer, so this spring I intend to buy the Holley AC bracket that puts the compressor high on the pass side to finish connecting my Vintage Air setup.. This isn't as as slick as some of the other setups but, my goal was a driver, not a show car. All in, including buying an alternator, I'll have about $500 in it and it really doesn't look that bad in my opinion.. It certainly isn't as nice as some of the setups out there but, it works and is cost a effective and, the PS pump and alt are off the shelf items you can get at the local parts store, which for me is a big plus since I drive the wheels off of this thing, including long trips:)

‚ÄĆengine bay.jpg

4. badazz81z28

^ $500? Does that include a new water pump?

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I used the GTO pump, the belt rides fine, belt wrap is just like a stock Corvette.
    I can post another pic or two if you want. Tomorrow.

6. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

If GTO is like Fbody, the water pump smooth "pulley" is double-wide and can be run with differing-depth accessory drives.

7. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

That's correct, the "pulley" is deep enough to support two belts if needed, my setup runs in the front area.. The tensioner is high on the pass side currently, when I add the VA compressor, it will move down to the Holley bracket and an idler goes in it's place... Everything will run on 1 belt..
    You can see the "pulley" in these pics..
    IMG_20180501_215852.jpg IMG_20180501_215902.jpg

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

The Russell 90* fitting arrived so I just used it rather than trying to remove the fitting from the reservoir. Hopefully this works. It barely clears. But it does clear.

[​IMG]

9. badazz81z28

can you post a zoom out pic?

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

[​IMG]