LS3 Components into a 1975 Camaro!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by camaro75v8, Sep 13, 2019.

1. camaro75v8

camaro75v8 Veteran Member

Well, I had been gone for a while from the forum and I apologize. Let me start with some backstory on my 1975 camaro. My Father and I bought used, running and in very good condition back in 1996 when I was 15 years old. Was and has been my very first car. Car came with a 305 and 350 transmission, I had engine completely overhauled and bored to .030 over with everything new except for crankshaft. At one point it even received a full body paint job, along with new suspension parts, while it went through one transmission. Engine also got spoiled with bolt on upgrades. Then one day I upgraded to a LT1 Trans Am as a daily driver, then eventually to a LS1 Trans Am (currently with me), as you all can imagine, the '75 wasn't getting any love nor use anymore, even with parts added, power wise the Camaro did not compare to the LS1 or even the LT1 with minor mods. Before I knew it, paint faded, dash cracked, carb got stuck, etc., I just did not have the will to get it running again. So a while back I sold the LT1 since it did not make any sense in having it because of the LS1, but I have kept the '75 with the idea of one day putting into it a newer power plant LSx based engine.
    Now, I love the LS1 T/A and not too long ago I scored a good deal on a 2000 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L, thinking of transferring engine with pcm into my Camaro. Tahoe has high miles but it is running. The idea was to give the engine a refresh before install. But.......

Here is where it kind of gets a bit crazy inside my head... I have been lately thinking that within a year or less from now... buying a 5th Generation Camaro with the 6.2L/LS3, they are not that expensive used anymore. I would use it as a daily driver in stock form, with maybe some bolt ons, then... BOOM! Start hacking it so its guts and soul make their way into my 1975 Camaro. I mean, EVERYTHING that can be transferred from it into the '75, engine, transmission, seats, cluster, steering column, wheels with adapters, etc. Bear in mind my Wife has her daily family vehicle, and I also own another car besides the T/A. So, it would be a project that I would complete with the help of my best friend who has been a gear head since we met in 1995.
    So any input on my idea is greatly appreciated, am I crazy? Should I or shouldn't? Thank you in advance for any responses.

76z28 likes this.
  2. camaro75v8

[​IMG]
    This is the '75 before it got neglected.
    [​IMG]
    This is when I still had the LT1 T/A:

76z28 likes this.
  3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Depends on how deep you want to get into it, I liked the basics of my 73 but wanted the modern engine and trans. Bought a nice low mileage setup from Hawks 3rd gen and stuffed it into my 73. Interior etc are basically stock with the addition of Dakota dash and Vintage air..
    If you want get wild and do the entire swap, go for it, make the car what you want if you intend to keep it..
    Make a plan and go for it!!

Fleet

camaro75v8 likes this.
  4. camaro75v8

Yeah, I would want to transfer as much as I can from the LS3 camaro.