LS3/LS9 Fuel Economy MPG

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by SMCZ28, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

"Forced induction is only for people who can't build an engine."

I'm not the FI type, I prefer NA engines myself, but that just seems ignorant, especially with modern engines and components. FI is, and always has been, artificial cubic inches, and for making power more displacement is always, always better. But more CI isn't always better for MPG - thats the beauty of FI, especially turbocharging, is that when they aren't needed, the extra CI essentially just go away. You basically have a small motor when you don't need power, but when you need it, you suddenly have a big motor. In a very loose way, its almost like the original 'displacement on demand'.

2. ripcurl329

ripcurl329 Veteran Member

my stock ls3 in my '12 camaro was getting about 26 mpg on the interstate. I have added all the bolt on's and a tune and Im now getting around 20/21 but im also going 80 mph and having fun...

3. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Well like I said he is an old timer, maybe 70 or something so I understand why he said that being from the old time age he is from. Chargers for sure have benefits and that's why I was asking if a charger would actually be smart to move to for something DD wise and save some gas instead of having this big thumping CI engine that we all know will drink it like there is no tomorrow. I mean this isn't a car I'm going to sell later in life, this car is going to be passed down generations and if I have a kid in the family that sells her I will haunt them to no end..... but I don't know now if I want to go turbo, looking on youtube they take up almost all the space there is which would make it really difficult to work on the engine, the supercharger looked pleasing because it just sat on top of the engine and looked like a normal intake.

That helps with info, it would probably get better MPG in my car since it weighs a lot less than the 5th gens.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013