LSX Power Steering Pump

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Kyle C, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

I have decided to go with an LSx drivetrain for my 73. I haven't found the donor car yet but plan to buy the whole car and hopefully get some spare part for my '02 in the process. My question relative to the '73 is will the power steering pump on from the LS1 be compatible with my '73 unit? If not does anyone know of an aftermarket pump that works with the LS1 accessory drive and the '73 steering box?

2. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

The stock LS1 pump from a 2000 Trans Am works fine when used with the steering box from a 1979 Z28 (which was in turn installed in a 1971 Z). Confused yet?

4gen power steering systems use the engine coolant to cool the power steering fluid as well. If you look at the upper radiator hose arrangement of a 4gen car you will see that has three pieces...two rubber hoses for the ends (engine and radiator) and a solid silver tube in between. The low pressure side of the power steering fluid circuit circulates the power steering fluid through this silver tube in honeycombs that are concentric to the flow of the coolant). Sounds complicated, but it is not.

Dunno if you simply skip the power steering cooling step or not. I was lucky because my swap setup came with everything to do the fluid cooling, so went ahead and installed it that way.

The only hassle is the difference in fitting sizes (metric vs English). I had some custom hoses made up using the respective ends of two sets of stock hoses (those from the 4gen car and those from the 2gen). Works fine.

3. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

Is there appreciable difference between a '79 steering box and a '73? I'm getting out it the weeds on this conversion and suspect I'll have several more ?? Thanks for the response.

4. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

I have been doing searches about this issue and I am yet to find a solution. I want to use my stock 71 box but don't know how to adapt it to work with the ls1 pump.

A while ago there was a thread at ls1tech where a guy used a compression fitting to adapt the lsx hoses to an old GM box. here is a pic. Below that is a pic of a members car. seems like he made up his own hoses. He goes by Lesrace82 so he might help out to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks, now I have to PM him since he's right by me. He's offered to help me with mine and I'm sure this is something the shop isn't aware of.

I hope he can do this part for me or show me what I need.

6. SHANE 73Z

SHANE 73Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just picked up a 2002 vette pump to install along with my stock 73 box. If you look at some of the roundy round websites & I think Detroit speed carries adapter fittings that would allow the use of an -AN PS pressure hose between the pump & box and you could use regular -AN or even push-lok to plumb the rest.

I havent looked to closely yet though.

Shane