LSX Swap thread tech info to get these in 1970-1981 F-Bodys

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by RetroLSX, Dec 3, 2009.

1. RetroLSX

RetroLSX New Member

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself as Retro LSX. I’m currently retailing the LHX swap oil pan and have in development a new line of complete LS swap kits (engine mounts, frame brackets, crossmembers) and trans mounts for older applications. In addition to kits I will have a line of stainless LT and ML for each swap both with 3 bolt ball flanges that will be out 2010.
    I get a lot of questions about how to do these swaps so I thought i would put together a basic swap guide for these cars. This is something that after questions are asked it grow and will become a good guide line for these swaps. I am also doing the writing for the LS swap book for HP books and can help with the tech.

Motors,
    I have run $300 5.3L LM7(cast iron early 5.3L)from 2005 Silverado with 33K from ebay put a used Z06 cam and $180 ebay headers and got 326RWHP and 323RW Torque with 87 oct at 26 MPG and these 5.3L are everywhere and cheap. The truck motors are filling up salvage yards because they last well over 200K miles so there is not enough demand for replacement motors in stock applications. This means these are very reasonably priced buys for great power and fuel mileage. Car Craft recently did a built with a low compression LQ4 with GM L92 heads and got over 500HP. Several 5.3L with under 10K miles with motor and transhave sold for around $1000-$1800 and the 07+ are all aluminum with pre production Z06 heads and a higher compression ratio that still go under $2K with a 4L65 trans! If you step up to the new Ly6 engines it’s a 6.0L engine with L92 and ether a 6 speed auto or 4L80 that can be found for around 3K with under 30K miles! It’s getting to the point that a LS swap is close to the cost of buying a GEN I 383 crate motor..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oil pan
    The 70-81 Camaros are best with the 98-02 LS1 oil pan that came on the LS1s originally.
    Bolt Pattern

All the new Gen III and Gen IV LS series engines feature a new bolt pattern on the block for the motor mounts so none of the tradition methods will work in adapting it to an older application. All engines from the 4.8L to the Ls9 feature this same bolt pattern.
    [​IMG]

Electronics

[​IMG]
    There are a lot of options to go on this route from rewiring the stock harness yourself or having a companies such as.

Speartech.com
    CurrentPerformance.com
    Wait4meperformance.com

GM also sells new plug and play wiring kits that include the drive by wire pedal for all 03+ Gen IV motors. Along with GM electronic kits to run the coil packs with a carb or the Electronic transmissions without the ECU. Just know that to control a electron trans a computer box is needed for the swap.
    [​IMG]
    The Cable X-Box that converts the VSS speedometer signal from the trans to a traditional speed unit

Fuel Systems
    [​IMG]

More choices here on this part of the install as well from buying a new tank from a company like Ricks hot rod shop, to modifying your stock tank with a modern fuel pump. LS1tech.com has a lot of good write ups and guides for this portion of the install for addition help as well. Or run a carb on your engine with the stock tank and a LS engine running in a weekend with the least amount of work.

Rock valley and ricks hotrod offer stainless EFI tanks but cost a decent amount close to 1K! These are great tanks and worth the money just can be tight on a budget.

Some OEM looking replacements from Spectra available for the 70-73 F-Bodys. These are sumped and baffled with a high volume GM EFI tank.
    Tanksinc.com can rebuild your OEM tank to take the EFI pump for any year and is the only option for the 74-81 outside as custom tank.

Also note on external pumps, the fuel control over the sloshing in the tank can couse air to be sucked into the fuel line. With a low fuel in the tank or hard corning you can suck air into the motor.

For the fuel filter regulator use

This is the part number from a corvette fuel filter
    [​IMG]

GM Part#10299146 (or Wix 33737)

(FPR), is from a 1999 C5 Corvette. Most time just ask for a fuel filter from NAPA or any parts dealer
    The FPR will require fittings to adapt to traditional 3/8" lines and 5/8" return lines. One option is Russell performance

Fittings needed to adapt
    (2) 3/8" fittings, part number RUS-639210 or RUS-640850
    For the tank to regulator line and the fuel line connecting to the fuel rails
    (1) 5/8" fitting part number RUS-640860
    return to the fuel tank from the regulator
    Front Accessories
    GM is now offering the C5 and C6 accessories as complete kits for under $900 with A/C for a compact design with OEM quality at a reasonable price. Or without A/C for around $650

There are relocation kits for OEM truck,corvette, and camaro/firebird to top mount the A/C for a Sanden 508(Vintage Air Style compresor) for under

Or

Relocation kits for the PS and Alternator
    [​IMG]

Or just the ALT kit
    [​IMG]

On the F-body the frame has to be notched for the OEM low mount A/C or a top mounted A/C is required.
    LS kits /Headers

A lot of options out there from Kooks, Hooker,Edelbrock, myself and countless others.

2. RetroLSX

RetroLSX New Member

Steam Vent
    Here is where to tap a steam vent for a LS into the water pump
    [​IMG]

This is only a very quick overview and a briefly touched on some of the big questions; I’m a big GM guy so I recommend keeping these conversions as much GM as possible. This will keep maintenances parts available at any local parts store and readily available for a very long time. Ask me any questions you have about these conversions and I’ll be happy to help or at least guide you in the right direction of someone who can.

Shawn

3. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Nice writeup Shawn! I'm in the process of gathering parts to do my swap right now. Since my second job is as a tuner in the LSx world, I come across a lot of good used parts. I plan to start a build thread in here once I really get going...

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Interested in what you will have available as far as the headers are concerned.

5. RetroLSX

RetroLSX New Member

I’ll have some stainless LT and ML with 3in collectors and a 3 bolt ball flange out early next year. The best part is the price. What I’m working on will be under$600 for a stainless LT! This is less than even most mild steel headers.

I’m building a 1976 Z28 for my wife and putting the 81 front nose and 78 z28 hood that’s being used for a mock up. I’ll be using it for a ton of photos on this site as a reference point for people taking on these conversions. The 2nd gen is just a great starting point and solid cars can be bought for a reasonable price for now... I picked up my very clean original paint 76 without motor or trans for $300!

Here is a good photo on a EXT fuel pump from LS1 tech
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    here is a trans tunnel mod for a 6 speed that can be used as a concept from a A-Body

6. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Great info. I'm looking for a L92/L99/LY6 to transplant into my 1978 Z28 along with a 5 or 6 speed transission.

Do you know an approximate cost to do this if I have the engine/trans and engine harness?

7. RetroLSX

RetroLSX New Member

Do you want a 6 speed auto or T-56?

I have a couple of these motors right now; prices go for about 3K-4K with complete motor/trans/acc and ECU for a LY6. The L76 are hard to find and the L92s are about $4500 for just the motor! I do have one 545HP mast L92 Crate engine I’m selling for a steal tho…

8. KansasTwister

KansasTwister Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sweet info, ill be sure to contact you when i deside to put an lsx in something.

My suggestion is if you are gonna try to sell parts and conversions, consider looking into becoming a site supporter and or a vendor, lots of guys read this site and ghost this site, so money invested now will more than repay itself down the road.

9. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

I was actually thinking more of a 5 speed because I've read that they're a fair amont smaller and easier to fit in the car.

10. secondgencamaro

secondgencamaro Veteran Member

Would you mind elaborating on this? Does this hook up contraption that runs to the cylinder heads at the four corners of the intake manifold?