LSX Swap thread tech info to get these in 1970-1981 F-Bodys

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by RetroLSX, Dec 3, 2009.

1. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks 7T3LS1, that is pretty slick how you did that...That seems like it would be better than hoses.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I would have to do this more than once to justify purchasing the flaring tool and the hose kit, and I don't have room in my garage for any more projects. :)

2. daniel76309

Thought I'd share...

I found these:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tubing-to-AN-Flare-Adapters,31224.html

Has anyone used these?

With these, I should be able to run all hard steel line (as is available from O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc.) from tank to regulator to front of car. I will still need a short run (~ 2 feet?) of 6AN hose to go between the front end of the hard line to the fuel rails (I plan on using "pre-assembled").

There are lots of ways to do this, but to me this seems like a pretty good way to go--minimizes use of hose, I don't have to mess with AN hose ends, doesn't involve buying any specialized tools, and is relatively economical.

I have ordered all the pieces I think I will need (using Tanks, Inc. module, Corvette regulator, etc.), will document my experience, and will let you all know how it goes.

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Will using those and aluminum line withstand the fuel pressure of the LSx system?

I wonder how many bends are in the stock main fuel line? I'm thinking about forming my own steel main feed and taking it to a hydraulic shop and let them flare the ends at each point.

4. daniel76309

I am planning on using steel line. I am not sure if aluminum would be strong enough.

Another option would be to flare the steel lines as you suggest, and then use

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Tube-Nut-Couplers,972.html

and:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Tube-Nut-Sleeves,973.html?parentDisplayId=972

They also sell a tool for flaring yourself if you want:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Standard-Flaring-Tool-37-Degree-AN,2931.html

I think either would work fine. I think if you were doing more than a few of these, it would be cost effective to buy the flaring tool and do it this way. I don't plan on doing this more than once, so the compression fitting seems more practical for me.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

For a street car aluminum lines seem a bit of a soft spot to me. I dunno, maybe it's just me. Maybe you can put rock guard over it or otherwise protect it.

6. daniel76309

I agree...Aluminum would be easier to bend, and would be lighter (but insignificant for a non-racing application)...but with fuel under pressure, I think you can't beat hard steel line for safety and longevity.

7. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Just to add to this....The inlet 3/8" & 5/16" female fitting is 640850 and 640860 (corrected). The outlet 3/8" is the 640940. This gets you to AN fitting. The filter is on eBay for about $34 + shipping if you search.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  8. daniel76309

9. arwokc

arwokc Member

RetroLSX,
    In your very first post that started this thread, the second picture shows an orange LS7. It shows all the accessories with stylish black pullies. Do you know who's accessory drive setup and pullies are on that motor? I would consider mounting mine with that setup.

Thanks,

Andy

10. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

looks like a Synister kit, and as far as I know they're out of business. There were rumors that Mark or another company were going to bring it back to life, but with all the new kits out there I think the competition made it not feasible.

Jody