LSX Swap thread tech info to get these in 1970-1981 F-Bodys

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by RetroLSX, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Subbed for info. What accessories brackets fit best for an LS1 in our car.... Corvette or Camaro?

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Corvette definitely if your motor is in std location and not set back. Camaro has issues with the lower pitman arm and alternator

Plus it's always nice to have alternator on top where it's easy to reach and change out

3. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Ok next question. Who make motor mounts that sets the engine back as far as it can go....better handling idea for autocross. I see dirty dingo makes some but they only put the engine forward vs back

4. 1971CamaroGuy

If you wanting something like that, Holley makes some swap mounts that were made for 2nd gen. (it's what have).

The mounts position the engine more back and center of the car (not offset to the passenger side like factory). This would be the more ideal set up for autocross

But there are some issues with these as I have found out

1. If you buy the mounts, you have to buy the matching cross-member. You won't be able to use anyone else brand

2. Depending on the accessory brackets you use, the offset of the engine puts the stock corvette PS pulley touching the gearbox line fittings. You will have to use a smaller diameter pulley and undersized harmonic balancer.

3. Because the engine sits back and closer to the drivers side, it's closer to the stock booster. Not really an issue but it makes getting in there to work a little more difficult.

4. Your limited on header choices, the offset makes it more difficult and Holley wants you to use their headers.I have the Holley Hooker exhaust manifolds which are based off of 5th gen Camaro. Shorty headers might work.

5. Back drive linkage will NOT work with shorty headers, it hits the exhaust flange and binds up. I tried bending it but didn't help. Putting the Holley exhaust manifolds on this gave me plenty of clearances for the back drive linkage.

6. You will need to either get a custom driveshaft or have your stocker shortened. On my old set-up I could use a lates 80's s10 blazer driveshaft from the boneyard. Not on this one.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If the Holley mounts move the engine over and centered, doesn't the make the driveshaft and rear end not aligned?

6. 1971CamaroGuy

Never thought of that, but you have to use their cross-member with their mounts, maybe there is some built in angle specs in that to compensate.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...engine_and_transmission_mounts/parts/12512HKR

Specs from the website:

Features:
    • Specifically designed for bolt-in compatibility with the Hooker transmission swap components
    • Drilling template is included for installation on cars originally equipped with frame stands
    • Fully compatible with Holley LS swap oil pan and accessory drive brackets.
    • Provides an engineered 3 to 3.5 degree engine/transmission inclination angle that is critical to obtaining usable U-joint working angles (especially in lowered vehicles)
    • Mounting hardware included
    • LS Oil Pan 302-1 will work with these engine mount brackets
    Integral part of the Complete Hooker swap system for this application. Components feature unique design geometry that is not compatible with any other brand of transmission crossmember or headers.

7. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Sounds like I'll be staying away from Holley swap parts for now....offset and moving the engine back a couple inches is not worth the extra work it sounds like IMO

8. 1971CamaroGuy

Yeah it def snowballed on me, because I bought the mounts first, then needed the crossmember...then had to get my driveshaft shortened. It's done now so I am going to roll with it.

My original thinking was I wanted something that was engineered specifically for my car, not just a pair of universal mounts. If I did it over again I would get the dirty dingo adjustable instead.

Tpichevy likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Interesting. I have the Quadra Link so I'm able to adjust the Panhard bar to center the driveshaft. Not sure what you do with leafs if you shift the engine over

10. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Anyone know where RetroLSX went and if he ever made and sells these stainless headers he talked about 10 years ago? "I’ll have some stainless LT and ML with 3in collectors and a 3 bolt ball flange out early next year. The best part is the price. What I’m working on will be under$600 for a stainless LT! This is less than even most mild steel headers. "