LT-1/LS-1 swap links topic

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Skaal-tel 79, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I did find the lock ring changed in 74, so that reinforces what Dave said. A lot of parts there have specs, but alas not these. Also, no senders listed after 73 either.

Spectra listed the later ones as SMALL GUAGE HOLE - 1 3/4" but not the earlier ones. Again, backing what Dave said.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Black ziptie master, second only to Freiburger
    I found the GM archives to be a very good reference in deciphering which engine codes went to which specific vehicle. It also has OEM power graphs, spec sheets, and "what's new" info for each engine and transmission, for each year and application.

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/pig_index.html

Click on the year, then on the "Powertrain" link, which will bring you to the choice of car or truck engines & transmissions.

After babbling on and on in my Project Progress thread about an engine choice, I'm saying screw the ZZ383 or 406, and going with a 6.2 LSx (L92 or LS3).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was bored last night and I found the FAQ in the LSx swap section Thirdgen.org and some threads VERY informative on the wiring harnesses. This one is great for start to finish for cleaning up the harness by eliminating all of the extra connectors and lenghthening the harness so you can put the ECM where you want it.

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Anyone know if the 2004 5.3 Vortec has a fuel rail with a single fuel line or does it have a return on it too?

I want to use a corvette regulator / filter with the return line built in.

5. papapayne

papapayne Veteran Member

how did you bore a 5.3 all the way up to a 5.7? The ls1's barely allow you to bore 20 over.

6. papapayne

papapayne Veteran Member

only corvettes have the regulator with return line built in

7. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

So what are you doing for fuel lines and quick disconnect fittings for retro-fit? I figured that you did run metal lines for 80% of the run from tank to fuel rail.

8. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

I just purchased a totaled (rearend damage only) 1996 Buick Roadmaster with 120K on it. It's equiped with an LT1 and 4L60E as well as all the wiring (car still runs). As part of the deal he through in a set of 1996 Aluminum heads from a corvette (I matched the numbers). I will go through and freshen up the engine and transmission before installing in an 81 Camaro. I'm sure this has been done many times but I must say, "I'm a little nervous about the fuel system and how much of the computer/wiring to remove from the Buick." Any suggestions would be appreciated. To tack on to what you mentioned about the 5.3 - I saw one just yesterday in an 1998 wrecked Chevy truck for $300 - There's plenty of them if you don't get in a hurry. Lastly, the same guy that sold me the Buick, sold me a 502 with 88K miles, coil packs, computer and all for $800. It's going in my 77

9. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

I like this thread I may be swapping a 6 litre into my 79.

10. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Do a search in this section on wiring and donor cars. I cover what all needed to be removed on an Fbody. I don't have direct experience with the Bbody but I would imagine it is similar in how the wiring is laid out. Don't worry though. Just be patient, move slow, and you'll realize it's not that terrible.