LT vs LS

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaromurph, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

I don't mind cutting the tunnel as long as I can keep it under the factory console so that opens things up a little from a trans standpoint. I would prefer an auto at this point as I intend to drive this to work in the nice spring through fall timeframe. Along with that comes rush hour traffic in the Chicago suburbs which isn't great. The Magnum would be a second choice as it is actually pretty easy to drive with a hydraulic clutch like in my 68.

Right now I'm trying to map out the cutting required for the 6L80E size to determine if it will fit under the console. Also the ground clearance at stock ride height. Attached are some pic's of the movie car and a poor pic of my new project.

Attached Files:

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I found a build thread on protouring, looks like they got the stock center console to fit just fine, so I think you'll be fine
    It's not a camaro, but the differences between the two are so minimal it shouldn't matter

3. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. Leaning towards the LS to keep it simple. I'm thinking for the benefits it's probably best just to stick with a 4 speed auto as opposed to trying the 6 speed. Not that the 6 speed wouldn't be nice but is it work the low hanging pan.

Since the 79 is pretty loaded, t-top, pw, pdl, ac. I am going to drive it to work more in the better weather. So I think for sure AC and CAT's will be necessary. Now just to decide which engine trans combo.

LS3/4L65E
    LS376-480/4L70E
    LS376-525/4L85E

I could substitute the 6L80E on any of these.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would get the 525 if you don’t want to crack into it. Many people say to get the lower horse and put a better cam in it, but it’s a lot of work and expensive

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

What badazz said, if you really want more power beyond that, just drop a supercharger on it down the road. that's far easier to do. (well, depending on who you ask I guess) Just makes sure your transmission can support that kind of power if you decide you want more down the road.

if you get a 4l70e directly from chevy I would suggest a 4l75e. If you get it from some other vendor that builds it themselves the number means less. (as they're just built up 4l60e)

6. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

I did the math when I was shopping for my crate motor. Knew I wanted more power than a base LS3. Ended up getting the LS376/480...which is basically a cammed LS3. The cost difference was about $1000 CAD. Could have easily done a cam swap myself. But given that the cam alone is about $700, it made sense to just get a rig all ready to go from GM.

The 525 is sweet...but I had to exercise restraint!

Maybe sometime down the road I'll consider some AFR heads and see if I can make it breath a bit better.

7. badazz81z28

Yeah and you would need to swap valve springs out too...Nothing is nicer than taking it out of the crate and install and go!

8. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The LT1 has additional parts to break too. Like the high pressure Fuel Pump under the intake.
    the 525HP LS3 is high RPM and not good for vacuum brake boosters my buddy has been dealing with that in his 2nd gen. That's race engine pretty much not a street kind of engine. 480 is probably perfect for a 365 ci NA.

9. badazz81z28

Perfect reason why I wanted more cubes...More power without the sacrifices you do for the same power on smaller cubes. I bet the cam in my LS7 is smaller than the 525 LS3.

10. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I'd go with the LS swap vs an LT. The LS is better and parts are everywhere.