LT1 T56 I have NEVER been this confused!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by earlysecond, Mar 5, 2009.

1. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Feeling really stupid right now. If a guy had a LT1 -T56 (read shorter input shaft) which had no bell, flywheel, clutch or pressure plate. Are the parts out there to do a swap for less than $1500 (NOT counting the tranny price)

I called McLeod today and the gentleman was very helpful (or so I thought) I told him the situ and he started reading off a parts list. Because I am using an LT1 without clutch or bell, he recommended using a LS bell which he could sell me for decent coin, an extended pilot bushing, lesser expensive (by McLeod standards) pressure plate and disk, and then suggested a hydraulic Trow Out, which seems to be the only work around for my dilemma, remember too that I have an externally balanced stroker. This effectively builds a traditional push type LS set up from the LT1 short shaft tranny, compensated for by the hydraulic T.O. bearing, but it seems like the long, expensive way home.

Can anybody see me thru this? All I want, basically is the parts list between the rear of the engine block and the front of the short input shaft T56 that is not as complex or expensive as this. I REALLY have only ever needed or expected stock performance out of this set up.

How much more crazy would it be, since the T56 is going to be rebuilt by my friend who has 40yrs of building trannys under his belt, to just change the freakin input shaft to a longer LS shaft? Would that be a cost savings in the long run.

I am starting to understand why the cost of a complete conversion kit from auto to T56 costs as much as my Camaro is worth! What a crazy, complex, big dollar list this is!

Somebody who knows, please save my sanity and help me to feel a bit smarter!!!

Thanks in Advance as I am missing something here!
    Brent

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Search here & the transmission forum, this has been done a number of times.

3. earlysecond

Bonzo,

I'm thinking this may be just a bit different. I beg to differ but thanks for the search reminder. Starting to think that I am much better at body and paint work than ANYTHING mechanical!

4. BonzoHansen

5. earlysecond

I appreceite all of the links and I see that you did some fine work, I like the pics. I am concerned that I am trying to do the impossible or charting new ground. I need to distance myself from the whole issue tonight. Maybe tomm. or over the weekend the bulb will click and it will clear up.

I guess that I want to take a bare LT T56 with the shorter input, get rid of the goofy pull style LT clutch and flywheel set up and mount it all the back of an externally balanced stroker for as little jack as possible. It is possilbe that I am being unrealistic but the older I get the less patience I seem to have. When I called the "experts" (nice enough people at McLeod to be sure) and they gave me some wild work around, I got even more mixed up.

Thanks for pointing out the links, I honestly did try a search in this topic but neglected the tranny topic. . .my bad.

Thanks,
    Brent

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I had so much GREAT help from McLoad (of crap) and that guy "Red" that I
    ended up selling my COMPLETE T56 LT1 trans last year and buying a TKO to
    install in my Studebaker Avanti. McLoad kept stringing me on, and on about
    making an adapter bellhousing for Studebaker for years. The TKO was almost
    a bolt in, with a simple adapter between the stock bellhousing and trans.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13734

I am not surprised they havent been much help, and confused you more. Good
    luck with your project ... it cant be harder then adapting a TKO to a Stude.;)

Tom

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Brent, I hate that "goofy pull style" clutch set up too. I had the opposite problem concerning the input shaft, mine was too long(Viper T-56). I was able to take some off the end where it enters the pilot bushing(it was bottoming inside the end of the crank before the bolts would pull the block/bell up tight together).

I've seen those longer T-56 LSX input shafts on ebay from time to time, so that may be another source to keep an eye on, might find a deal if you're willing to watch and wait for it.

I passed on several LT1 T-56s while I was hunting for a 6 speed because of that problem that you are facing with yours. I hate that goofy recessed flywheel and pull style clutch, plus at that time I was considering using my 383 and couldn't find a flywheel for that externally balanced motor.

edit:
    Brent, here's the thread where I was working on my T56...might be something in there that catches your eye. Lots of folks had links and parts lists for me to look at.....
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120023&highlight=Viper

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. earlysecond

I've slept on it and had a blaphmous epiphany!

With all the changes that I want to make to the '70 I think my next ebay search will not be for a long input shaft but rather a 98-2002 5.7 liter t56 drive train Camaro. I hate engineering, I am not cut out for it. Bodywork and paint work, far more my forte.

My gut is telling me a a complete 4th gen in decent mechanical order that needs some bodywork and paint would be more like what I really want and much cheaper, some of the "coolness" factor is gone of the second gen but won't have to take a 40 year old car and completely rebuild it to make what I want!

Wow, I can't believe that I just typed this but it is what I am thinking at this point.

I will stop at the local chevy dealer to source and price a complete LT1 goofy pull style clutch set up, I alredy know that the stock bell is available. If the total stock bill is less than $1000 I would be surprised! I already know that teh bell and the hydraulics are $650 so that does not leave much for the balance of the parts

I will need to take a break from the issue for a while.

Brent

9. BonzoHansen

10. earlysecond

Thanks John,

I usually LIKE it when people come up with different ways to skin the same "cat" but this has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous!

I have 4 days of research in this topic and feel as if I am no closer to a parts list that is workable. I think that my best bet is to find a complete LT1 pull type clutch set up that somebody pulled and switched out. THE ONLY PROBLEM with this scenario is coming up with an externally balanced pull type flywheel. Not sure it is out there or can be made. The short input shaft is a huge limitation. The long shaft is on back order nationally, probably due to the amount of guys doing exactly what I am doing, minus the stroker. For andybody even considering this switch either:

BUY A COMPLETE LT1 T56 SET UP (pilot bearing to tail shaft) AND LIVE WITH THE CLUTCH- DO NOT ATTEMPT A WORK AROUND AS IT QUICKLY GETS VERY EXPENSIVE, IF YOU HAVE THE WHOLE THING YOU ARE GOLDEN

OR

BUY A BARE LS1 T56 SET UP (you do not necessarily need the bell or clutch components because they are not a direct bolt to the gen 1 chevy small block) AND PLAN ON SPENDING SOME COIN TO ADAPT IT TO A FIRST GEN BLOCK. DUE TO THE CLUTCH CHOICES ETC, THIS STILL PROVIDES THE PATH OF LESSER REISISTANCE AND, IN THE LONG RUN, LESS COST.

Sorry for the all caps but I want to make this clear and highly searchable!

I will source and price the complete set up for an LT1 factory style, more than adequeate for my needs. Then post all of GM part numbers with current prices.

In the mean time, if anybody reads this who pulled a COMPLETE LT1 assembly off an LT1 T56 to go with something stronger, contact me, you could make some decent coin from the parts sitting around your house!

Additionally if anybody reading this KNOWS that what I wrote is factually incorrect. . .please point out the error of my ways. To quote Ozzy, "I'm going off the rails on a Crazy Train" and I want to make sure that emotion does not interfere with the facts!!!

Thanks,
    Brent