LT1 T56 I have NEVER been this confused!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by earlysecond, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Brent if you want give me a call anytime tonight if you want to talk any of this over. If i dont answer leave a message and I will call you back.

2. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Matt, I wil call you later and we will do business on the parts that you have that I have needed all along. (that is if you will still talk to me after all of this BS) Kidding, for those of you who may wonder. Matt is not only cool but helpful and understands that this is not a clear easy answer.

Speed Happy,

It is my understanding when the input shaft is changed, a different shim may be necessary to complete the swap with the proper endplay spec of 0. Additionally, I still never found a source for an available, LS style faceplate and I do not think that the adapter plates on the market are meant to replace the front cover as I see no race for the bearings etc. Finally, even if I completed this swap for unkown amounts of money, I would still have about $500 in the balance of parts that I do NOT currently have for a bell, clutch, Zeebar, etc and the transmission would extend to the tranny tunnel rib which I prefer to avoid.

It has been suggested that this post be pulled. There are only a couple of people that have that authority. . .1 of them is me as the original poster. This post HAS been all around the world (the T56 world at least). At some time, I may cut, paste and save the accurate, helpful information and DOG the rest of the MISINFORMATION and speculation. (most of it caused by yours truly!)

For now, I will wait until I have all of the necessary parts in hand. I will take pictures of everything for my future "swap write up" and I will get back to this issue at that time, when I have proof and experience with actual components.

I hope that anybody who is reading this and attempting to learn can work around all of the side tracked diversions and get some info. Again, it will be far more helpful to weed it out and clean it up.

In the meantime, I appreciate all of the help. Please, for the sake of learning, can we keep it a healthy debate with facts and proven information?

Thanks,
    Brent

3. Speed Happy '77

Speed Happy '77 Veteran Member

Short answer: Earlysecond asked about the possibilities specifically in his first post. I said it was possible, got argued with, sent links with proof and colorful pictures. You seem to know what you're doing, I wouldn't argue with you about the setup you're talking about if you can get it for him cheaper.

4. BLUE72CAMARO

I have a few things I would like to say about the above but in the interest of keeping the peace i will not.:rolleyes:

Brent, give me a call if you like, other than shooting my bow my only plans are watching the Blues game tonight so I will be available to talk. I will send you an email here in a few minutes in reply to yours I am going to get a shipping quote real quick so we know what kind of money were talking about there.

5. Speed Happy '77

LOL it was in essence a retraction, but I do have a few more links that are essentially both sides of our conversation, but shorter. The frustration was due to people clearly not having READ them. As I said, you know what you're talking about and offered a cheap middle ground. At $700, 7 pages of this post made the setup not workable for him. That's what we were trying to fix, right?

I'm just as happy so long as two things happen:
    He gets what he wants cheaply.
    He does yet another Camaro justice by restoring it.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

Well I believe you can be happy then!

7. Speed Happy '77

The starter info. is what I got off of here:
    http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48446_t56_six_speed_transmission_swap/index.html
    Stock bell apparently does. That was just quoting without any other background, I'll admit it.

The rest of the parts list... he needs a bell housing, flywheel and clutch, yes.
    I was pointing out the differences in the parts between the two, assuming everything else is stock, ceteris paribus. Probably confusing. I tend to explain in too much detail and restraining myself, end up leaving bits of what I say confusing.

You can go ahead and PM me if you want, Blue72, so that I quit posting responses that don't help earlysecond.

On that note, I'm doing full research on it tonight. I'll post anything I find worth mentioning.

8. BLUE72CAMARO

The whole key to the article you posted is the weir special made bell and and their special designed hydraulics that can use any 2 peice oem flywheel even ones that are 168 tooth. If you use a oem starter than yes maybe you are stuck with an lt1 or the like starter but there are many aftermarket ministarters that will work on the 153 tooth pattern that the lt1 and adapter flywheels have. I can go out to my car trailer and take pictures of one in use if you like! I dont mind discussing starters as Brent may have to cross that road before long as well.

I would be interested to see the price on that wier kit, but if I had to guess I would bet they want over a grand for there bell and throw out bearing to fit the lt1 trans!

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Brent,

I'll take out all of my posts with reference to the Viper setup since it really doesn't apply in here now. That will clean up a few posts for ya and shorten this thread....

PS, you can write down any of the post #'s that you want trimmed and give the list to a mod or admin and they can help you trim down this thread(delete the posts that you can't delete on your own). After I took out my non LT1 T56 ramblings it shorten this up a little bit....hope this helped.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

John,

I think that it will stay the way that it is, unless a moderator sees any issue, it will eventually fade away and I will start a much more colorful, factual post when I get parts.

Your discussion points were very helpful and the Viper unit is one of the units that people may buy. While I think that the article that I write will focus specifically on the LT1 set up, there are more used sources of these transmissions everyday. I saw one that a guy posted up out of a Cadillac CTS and MAN did it look funny as the shifter was extended via some crazy linkage! I am surprised that it would even work!

The drama that once was this post will go away, fade into the sunset. Maybe there can be some kind of a warning that it was "the long way home". Personally, I like to kick stuff around with people and work it out. It is all good in my book and I appreciate all of the help. All I need now is the parts and somebody to remind me that I do not have to rip my car completely apart just to make it perfect.

On another subject, I am going to review how you did your rear brakes, something that I am certainly considering!

Thanks,
    Brent