LT1 T56 on Non LT1 Small Block

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Kyle C, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

While I T56 bolted to a bear block and install for xmember and tunnel fitting I noticed that the clutch fork works ass backward from the M21 I took out. I am assuming the TO bearing and PP work differently than the non LT1 stuff. Will the LT1 PP bolt to a standard small block flywheel?

2. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

It will bolt to a one piece seal crank, but not a two piece.

Different bolt pattern. 3" instead of 3.58" like the two piece cranks.

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It won't bolt to any old flywheel, not even the one-piece. You need a flywheel specifically for LT1 transmissions.
    As you noticed, the fork is backwards. That's because the pressure plate works backward. The Throwout bearing pulls on the diaphragm fingers to lift the pressure plate, instead of pushing like normal clutches do.
    Because of this, the disc also goes in backwards. The center springs face the block, instead of the transmission. As such, the flywheel is much deeper in the center, to allow room for these springs.

You can either use a custom flywheel (aftermarket only) with the factory clutch parts (LT4 or aftermarket stuff preferred), or you can start searching out some custom bellhousing solutions.

4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or you can use the stock bellhousing, conventional flywheel and pressure plate, and a hydraulic throwout bearing.