LT5 or LSx

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 1981LT1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The time is coming for me to start planning my budget for my tear down and I am now stuck on what to do. My initial plan was to run a twin turbo LS376 crate engine from GM. Now, there is a wrench in my plan. My friend is selling his LT5 with all accessories, harness, trans, new clutch, and full gasket set. I know many of you are probably thinking why is this a hard choice? Twin turbo LS is the obvious way to go. Unfortunately, I've been in love with the LT5 engine ever since they came out and even though they are old technology, they look absolutely killer. And, if i don't go with the LS engine, I could save at least $8K since I won't have to get the turbo's and a new T56 magnum to handle the torque. That $8K could go towards the interior upgrade and wheels. I know the LS engines are much cheaper to repair but I can't get over how cool it would look with that engine. I need some input.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I agree a dual overhead cam engine is cool, but youre right. The engine is rare since it didn't last long so you need to consider part availability and cost for it. Hard decision? I don't see why, the LS platform all things being equal is going to walk away from any previous engine. You don't even need a 376. Twin turbo a 5.3 and you'll have 1000hp.

Other then cost, my head spins as to why people even consider the LT engines of that era. It had nothing special over the Gen I

3. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Don't do it if you're on a budget or you're wanting power. The LT5 is an amazing engine and I love seeing them, but they are not an engine to drive around on and enjoy carefree. They've gotten to the point were parts are scarce and cost to operate are getting high. I wouldn't do it if you're wanting to jump in and drive the car whenever. Stay with the LS and don't build to such an extreme if you're wanting to save money.

Besides, if you're set on building a powerful LS motor, you won't be happy with the LT5 which doesn't make power compared to a built LS. If you just wanted EFI, then I'd maybe see going LT5 from a power stand point.

I see this as you shifting the goals of the car in a big way. That's not a problem but it's something to keep in mind. I believe that properly defined goals and sticking to them lead to a car that you'll truly enjoy.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

A cammed ls would destroy that lt5, especially with rectangle port heads. A twin turbo 376 would require a lot of car to handle it. Id go mild cam ls and youd be a happy person. Old gen trans will bolt up.

5. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

I agree. Depending on your usage and budget, a cammed LS would destroy the LT5. I was able to get 455rwhp from just a cammed LS3. I have been others get 480+rwhp too

6. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the comments. My reason for the twin turbo is purely because I can. I'm not too worried about cost since I've already budgeted for everything. This is not going to be a daily driver so it's not going to be built for that. I'm well aware of the scarcity of parts for the LT5 and that is definitely a huge con. For the LT5, there are a lot of upgrades I could make regarding porting the heads and intake plenum, aftermarket engine controller, better flowing exhaust, etc. But, it is 25 year old technology and I know a stock LS3 would be much more efficient and easier to work on. There's just something really cool about the ZR1 engine, and I have never seen one in a 2nd gen camaro (maybe because there are better engines out there).

7. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think it would be very cool to do and if you're not looking for max performance then I say what the heck - go for it!

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Imagine at a car show .. when you pop the hood and people go "dafuq???".

Screw LS engines .. its way Way WAY over played. (rattle rattle drip drip).

I am in the process of doing a second LT1 swap, just picked up a 1995 Corvette
    LT1 and am trying to pick up a Paxton to put where the AC was.

Haters know where the door is .. bye!

Tom