LY6 vs LS3 differences??

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

those G8s were cool cars, that and the solstice. was sad to see them go, plus knowing that there would be no more Pontiac I knew we would never see a "real" Trans Am 5th gen

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

True,

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5948696&postcount=2

I only recently learned this recently and that the Auto SS Camaro's were all
    L99 and 400hp too. Only the manual SS Camaro's had the LS3 with 426hp.

Yes it is.
    Compared to what you have to spend to modify an OEM PCM and OEM used harness through Speartech. Being that it's already running a tune for 480hp......it would be cheaper then almost ANY option. Most dyno places charge $450 for a custom tune, and I've learned most have a database of tunes they typically upload instead of doing it by hand.

Thanks for showing me that. I'm strongly considering the price comparisons here. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm going to buy the components first, because if it all bombs, I can resell it at minimal loss.

I'm still trying to understand the benefits of VVT and AFM though......not quite there yet.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

VVT- broader torque band by changing the cam phasing.

AFM- fuel economy from shutting off four of the cylinders.

Both will come at the expense of all-out power, because the cam is cut differently, and the AFM lifters are heavy in comparison to the non-AFM, so you'd be hard pressed to run reliably to the 6600rpm limit that the LS3 has. IIRC, GM set the redline on the AFM engines at 6000rpm.

BTW, they make a stock LS3 ECM kit just like that, too. I think they make an LS7 piece, too.

4. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you are starting to see things my way. :) I should have mentioned that I got the complete controller package for $885. I got it and my crate engine from Fred Beans, and BTW, their price on the 480 version is
    $6450--I have not seen it lower anywhere, and Fred Beans Chevrolet was good to deal with.

Someone mentioned that if you are going with an auto trans, that a separate transmission controller is needed. I believe that is the case for ANY 58X reluctor engine, regardless of who or where the electronics come from. I went with the TCI EZ TCU. It is also <$900 and allows programming of the transmission independently from the engine and comes with its own handheld programmer. There is no need to buy additional software, and you do not need a laptop computer. I could have gotten all the electronics from Speartech, including sensors, but the total package would have been $2100, and then I would have needed to tune the ECM, so would need laptop, software, wideband O2, etc. on top of the $2100. There may be advantages to doing it the latter way, but I didn't see the value added for the cost.

5. Aceshigh

I am actually.....which probably isn't a good thing for my wallets health. lol

I have a T-56, so no worries about the Auto trans issues.

6. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know what you mean... It was a little painful spending that much money on one thing, but I think in the long run it will prove to be worth it.

I considered just about all other options, but anything else cheaper just wasn't quite as good, and is potentially problematic. I am willing to pay more for the aluminum block but that is just my preference. The best other option was an L92 from Jake (don't know if he still has those available). At the time he said he would sell an L92 outfitted with "car stuff" to essentially make it into an LS3, with my choice of cam, for $6200. However, the L92 is down a smidge on compression relative to the LS3 (10.5 v. 10.7 IIRC--don't know if that is done with different pistons or what), and also lacks the lighter valves of the LS3. So, for just $250 more, the LS376-480 from GM seemed like a better option. You CAN spend considerably more than $6450, e.g. getting a stroker long block from Texas Speed for example, and adding on salvage everything else if you know where to find it, custom tune as needed, etc., and if all goes well would net a more powerful package, but quite honestly, I think 480 HP might be almost enough. We will see. :)

7. Aceshigh

Daniel , do you know what oil pan comes on that LS376 /480hp ??

Will it work in your 2nd gen ??

8. Todd80Z28

I'm pretty sure the catalog says it's a CTS-V pan. I'll check when I get home.

9. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It comes with the Corvette pan. Almost all the "car" GM crate LS engines come with Corvette pans

10. Todd80Z28

Yep, that is what the catalog says. It's the LS6 that comes with the CTS-V pan, and the L99 comes with the '10 Camaro pan.