Major Clutch Issues!! 71 W/ Muncie 4 SPD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by '71StreetZ, May 15, 2019.

1. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

Hi all, my 71 has been having major clutch issues since I switched from a Saginaw to a Muncie. The car has an M21 10/27 spline trans a GM 6263756 truck style bell housing, w/ alum adapter ring to use 4 1/8” nose cone, 12” three fingered clutch and a self aligning throwout bearing
    Whenever I push the clutch in it sqeals at the bottom of the pedal or it makes this hideous clunking sound I’ve had two different throw out bearing in it the first came apart in minutes and the second one has lasted for a bit but always makes a squeal or won’t fully disengage.
    I have no idea what’s causing this but it just seems ridiculous I’ve put a new clutch fork pivot ball and throw out in the car but just can’t seem to get it all to work properly
    I’ll attach the photos of clutch, bellhousing, and throwout that I have

Attached Files:

2. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

you should buy a bell housing used with the Muncie trans , I believe it s 621 bell housing . the truck bell housing may be to shallow to allow the throw out bearing to move freely and causing it to bind.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

That's a weird bellhousing. does the lower right bolt even lone up with the trans? Looks like it is too far to the right compared to the lower left hole.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It sounds like the bellhousing is out of line .I have had similar problem using a scattershield . I would have the alignment checked and or replace the bellhousing with one for a car.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check the total height of the pressure plate, it could be the wrong length from the face to the end of the fingers.

6. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

The bell housing bolts do line up with the trans the bell housing has been on the car previously with a Saginaw trans with the same clutch and as far as I know it is one of the only ones that will fit a 12” clutch alignment of the bell housing is also good I have a spare input shaft and bearing retainer that I’ve used as an alignment checker as well the bellhousing is the same depth as a smaller spare that I have for a car but the spare won’t fit the clutch

Attached Files: