Mallory or MSD

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 87zz28, Oct 3, 2016.

1. 87zz28

87zz28 New Member

My main reason for wanting the ignition box was the rev limiter and that I heard it helps it idle better.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

That is the most ridiculous non-political thing I've heard all summer.

skip white is a POS scumbag selling stolen and counterfeited crap to fools & clueless dummy's!!!

Every guy I know with an MSD box doesn't give a rats ass what any one thinks about his car being cool!!!!
    They want the crisper tune, added features, added spark.
    I know I could care less what anyone thinks, and I was the last guy I know to get an MSD box.
    I kept running a magneto for years after everyone else had a box.
    I got tired of spending a fortune stacking features that were included in a much cheaper MSD box!!!!

muscl car likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One of the two best things I've done to my engine was a MSD 6 system, it cleaned up the idle and help out when I went over 5K rpm.

I'm not going to get into the cheap off shore importer guys other than to say that with the engine I'm gathering parts for now is going to be home grown as best as I can.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I couldn't help myself on that.
    Especially after some goof tells me I spent over $100,000 dollars buying a new car
    and I was too stupid to understand the ignition box was useless!!!!!

5. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

I never seen anyone say that. No ignition boxes are useless on stock or very mild engines. They are great for big cammed, high compression, race engines.

I seen the OP say... He was just trying to bypass the factory third gen computer in his car. This tells me it's a mostly stock engine and in no way will see $300+ worth of gains from an ignition box.

When I had 10:1 compression, and a 218/230* cam, stock modded HEI worked fine... It however didn't do so well with 11:1 and 249/252* cam and shifting at 7200 rpm, so then I went to a box

6. 87zz28

87zz28 New Member

Well my new set up will be a 355 flat top with ported 292 heads, edelbrock performer intake, lunati voodoo 268/276 cam, and a Holley 650 douple pumper. The car is currently completly stock other than the headers so it has the factory ignition set up still on it. I don't want to mess with tuning the old computer to run with it so I was going to bypass it when the new motor was in. Do you guys think I should spend the money on the box or spend it else where?

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

1st of all, I wasn't talking to you. 2nd of all, If the OP is referring to installing an ignition amp box looking for more power....in 99% you won't see ANY difference in dyno numbers using a spark box vs a well tuned HEI. I was assuming his motor is stock to mildly upgraded since he really didn't elaborate on that in his original post.

Come on down to Atlanta Dragway on a Friday night and I'll show you cars all night long running 10's and 11's WITHOUT a spark box....on pure motor. All the guys I know with spark boxes are indeed running spray or forced induction.

For the record, all I have is a GM dizzy with an upgraded coil and module. Car starts fine, idle fine and has never broken up all the way to 6200 rpm...which is where the cam quits. To each his own. Your money, your car.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OP, if you already have clean plugs and no break down in RPM's while hitting redline then you don't need a box.
    A CDI box will give you multiple sparks big time up to 3000 rpm and cleanly burn all the fuel in the cyl's and clean an idle up.
    But don't buy a StreetFire CDI cause they're made in China and will be either EOA or won't last a yr. It's Junk Chit.

9. 87zz28

87zz28 New Member

I'm not done building the engine yet but with the current ignition I can't run the setup in my car so I was planning on buying everything before it's in the car