Manual shift pattern HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Car Fabricator, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Car Fabricator

Car Fabricator New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    Have a very weird problem with the shift pattern, car is a factory 1979 4 speed Z28. Reverse is Left and Back, every Camaro shift pattern I have seen is Left and Forward. The owner owned one in his earlier years and remembers Left and Up. The main problem is that in this car, when you put it in reverse because it is left and back it hits the center console because it narrows in the back. Unlike if it went forward it would not hit because the console opens up more.

Any help would be much abliged.

1979 Camaro Z28 Saginaw 4 Speed with Hurst shifter. Cannot tell if it is a factory shifting unit with a hurst shifter lever added on or a complete hurst unit. In which, the hurst pattern was the same as factory. Just Weird!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Try reversing the shift tang on the reverse lever on the tranny. If it is up now, face it down. If it is down, face it up.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
  4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto
    '79 Z28 with a 4-spd came with a Borg Warner not a Saginaw tranny.

5. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    X2

6. Car Fabricator

Aug 10, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    Its for sure a Saginaw...yay, another problem to deal with.

7. Car Fabricator

Aug 10, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    If its that easy I would be doing backflips!!!

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    A Saginaw likely has a different reverse shift pattern than the Borg Warner or the Muncie. This might be right for the tranny.

9. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    My '77 has the orig. Saginaw- no console- reverse left and down (lift 'R')

10. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    i have my saginaw set so reverse is up&left. You can change this buy the position of the linkage. You might not be able to just flip the linkage tang over. You might need a different one. All depends how the sloted hole lines up when you flip it over. You will also need to adjust the reverse linkage rod more then likely.

Heres what mine looks like. You can see the tangs. Tang to the far right is reverse. If you turn it so its pointing down it will reverse which way reverse goes into gear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012