Mass Air Fuel Injection

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 71Formula, Mar 28, 2006.

1. 71Formula

71Formula Veteran Member

I keep seeing adds for http://www.massflowefi.com/ has anybody used their system. They advertise complete plug and play fuel injection for almost any domestic v8 engine, with no tuning, programming, or hassles and provide unmatched drivability, and incredible fuel economy. Now all advertising jargon aside, has anyone used this (or another MAF based fuel injection) system. Anyone think it would actually be worth the price that they are asking? Any pros and cons, etc?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

This came up at Pro-Touring

“Our custom compact high flow mass air meter calibrated to your injector size (Patent pending). The air meter is concealed within the air cleaner of your choice to maintain the vintage look!”

My first thought about it is that one good backfire wipes it out. A proprietary MAF sensor that seems to sit right on top of the throttle body.

3. 71Formula

71Formula Veteran Member

So then I guess no-one has tried this one yet?

Well I decided to contact Chris at Mass Flo with a few questions, if anyone is interested, this is what he responded with:

Q: If the air meter is concealed under the air cleaner, on top of the throttle body, would the sensor be fried if the engine backfires for some reason?
    A: No. Not a problem.

Q: If the mass air computer is a production unit, does that imply that I could to use an aftermarket version of the chip if I wanted to?
    A: Yes you can.

Q: What brand of computer do you use with this system (Ford/GM/other) and do you use a different computer depending on the application?
    A: We use a Ford processor regardless of application.

Q: Even if the system is plug and play, and should run fine out of the box, is there still a method for tuning it to get the maximum possible out of the system?
    A: Yes. Anything [that] will work on production Ford (tEECer, chip tune, PMS, etc.) will work here.

It sounds like you can buy the full fuel injection system, and a fuel system matched for it from them. They are also willing to sell you individual parts if you want to purchase parts from other sources.

Essentially they are using a Ford EEC-IV chip with a translator box to work with a modified GM MAF sensor.

The guys over at pro-touring seemed to think the owner?/tech gave off a "weird vibe" but I found his answers to be professional an courteous, as well as efficient, we had a chain of emails in 4 hours that included 3 emails with lists of questions that he answered for me.

Sorry about the long post, kinda bored at work today...