Matt's 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Matilda71, Apr 7, 2015.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Id bet heater vents

2. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

just a guess but the top is probly e brake release.

3. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

The top right is the e-brake release. The other two are your vent controls for the driver side, there are both upper and lower vents. You should also have a similar vent control (only one knob) on the passenger side kick panel.

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

One is the brake release, the other 2 are for the freash are vents.

5. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about a 4 bolt main engine if that one is performing well. Run it till you have a problem (and you won't) or build a 4 bolt block if you NEED a different engine. You can order one pre machined and ready for assembly from Summit Racing around $900.00. If you need to rebuild and want to keep that engine because it's original or cause your dad built it, a machine shop can add splayed 4 bolt main caps and machine it making it stronger then factory straight 4 bolt caps.

6. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just find the thread right now... Welcome dude! Nice story and she looks like a pretty solid project, by now I'm waiting for updates!

7. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Hey all!

Been over a year since I made this thread? Guess I was expecting to start working on it sooner. No pictures this time though. Fortunately, we are building a garage in a few weeks. Nothing crazy big, just enough to get the car inside and for me to work on it. This is the closest I've been to actually getting started to work on the car and I'm very excited.

I've been doing a bunch of reading mainly body work, paint, and engine rebuilding. Those are the 3 big sections that I know will need extensive work. I'm pretty confident in the engine rebuilding process, however, the body work has me a little worried. Maybe I can get a few opinions on my plan to see if you guys would change anything, or do something in a different order. I'm all ears for your suggestions, since you guys have all been through this.

First: Remove the engine and transmission and get it on a stand. Set the engine aside for the time being.

Second: Strip old paint down to bare metal. Sand away all rust.

Planning on using aircraft stripper and just sand paper. I don't want to take a chance on using a grinder and potentially ruin any of the existing sheet metal. I'm going to work on the car in sections. Do the hood one day, start on a front quarter panel the next, and so on. Being my first car, I don't want to do too much and have the metal rust.

Third: Spray an epoxy primer to keep the sheet metal safe and rust free.

I've been reading that this is a good thing to do, but has me a little confused. Lets say I strip the entire hood down. Everything looks fine and can be reused. I've read that you sand the metal with 36 grit paper, clean, and then spray the epoxy primer with sealant and this will lock in everything to prevent rust. I don't want the metal to sit by itself, and primer apparently lets moisture under it. Can this epoxy primer sit indefinitely before I spray on actual primer? Can I use body filler to fix small dings right on top of it and then after it's sanded use the primer?

That's my beginning steps on the car. Any input would be fantastic.

8. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey welcome back!

Your steps are the same I thinked about mine! so I stand here to see what knowledgable members will say ;)

9. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

I was intimidated too by the bodywork. Just jump in. Don't be afraid to get jiggy with it, so to speak. I was fiddling around the edges for a long time on the body work, then when I finally started stripping, cutting, welding, patching, everything picked up speed quickly. It is true you don't want to create work for yourself, but don't be so concerned that is stalls out your progress.

Epoxy primer is all you need. Just clean the surface really well and hit the epoxy on it. Virginia is pretty humid....I know. You can only make it better by getting all the crap off and putting a fresh coat of epoxy primer on it. Good luck.

10. chuck_skywalker

chuck_skywalker Member

awesome, i like the color and the full bumper on this! good luck!