May be getting another second gen Camaro.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I had a guy call about my Impala this evening. He wanted to know if I would be interested in trading it for a Camaro he has in the barn. It was his brothers and has sat for years but does run and move. He thinks it's a '73 or '74. I'm supposed to go up Sunday and look at it. It's a V-8 automatic. I can't help thinking back to my '77 that was a real rust buggy. It looked and drive great, until I got to looking closer.

Is there anything I should look for that would make it a better car to trade for? Engine? Tri package? I'd kind of like to get another Camaro, but I don't want a pile of parts either.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

My first question would be "Does it have round tail lights?" lol. That would give you some direction as to what it could be.
    Rust could be the deal breaker.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Check under the carpet and in the trunk for rust (beyond the obvious external rust - if any). Replacing floor pans and trunks requires major surgery...

Typical external rust area are right behind the front and rear fenders.

For me, I would prefer the '73 or earlier. I'm not a fan of the big bumper '74. You preferences may vary.

I can't remember what year Impala you're trying to sell (value of), but this might be a painless way to get a 2nd gen. Depending on what condition this Camaro was in prior to being stored in the barn, you might be getting a worthwhile "barn find"....

Good luck!

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Pics...post pics when you go.

70-camaro likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A 70-73 would have to be in some pretty bad shape to worth less than 2004 impala....

70-camaro likes this.
  6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Yreah
    Yeah, my '77 looked pretty good when I bought it. When I put a socket in the floor of the trunk and it fell through INTO the fuel tank...! I knew it had rust but it turned into a parts car only. It ran and drove, just fell apart as I started turning bolts. That's my big concern. I can get anything running. What I know about body work you can write in a match book with a grease pencil.

7. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

He might be interested in trading because he doesn't have any $$$ invested in the Camaro and simply wants his space back so it might not be that bad.

8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

If it was his brothers be sure and see about the title.

Coadster32 likes this.
  9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1974 Z28s seem to be getting decent money. A 1973 would probably be more valuable than any comparable 1974. I suppose if it's a 1973 and a split bumper, check that it's an original RS, and not just a bumper replacement. I don't think the 396/402 was available as an option in 1973, so I guess it won't have one of those, unless it was installed later.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Take a magnet to check for Plastic filler. Never know what is hidden. Hope the Rats haven't invaded.