Medicare

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, May 15, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I know this will start a firestorm but I'll be signing up for Medicare next year. I'm already getting all sorts of offers for it from different companies. What some good providers out there? I plan to get supplemental and I feel a bit swamped looking at the offers. I'll get a small pension from the company I work for and I think it will suffice to pay my Medicare premiums.

1980RS likes this.
  2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

We have United Healthcare for over 10 years. It's been good thus far.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There are a lot of supplemental plans available, but not all plans are available across the entire country. You need to look at the plans that are offered in Indiana. The plans that are not available to you in your area are just wasted time. I got a booklet from Medicare that listed only the plans available in North Dakota. That thins down the herd fast if you start with something like that.
    United Health Care is affiliated with AARP, and I will not have anything to do with either of them.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I deal with a broker (girl I dated in high school) and she is very good at researching what companies do best with the prescriptions I take. She'll change plans every year if need be. She comes to my business and shows me the top 4 or 5 for my needs and lets me decide, then gives me her decision and why. It has worked out well so far. I like the fact that she represents a lot of these companies, not just one. She's up on the changes they make, that's her job and she does it well. Maybe a broker would be something to look into.

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have to do the same thing this year.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've had one of those contact me already too. I currently have UHC through work. The costs through them has been going up. The company licks up most of the cost for them. When I retire, that goes away.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I don't know if your state does this, but I attended 3 different medicare meetings to learn the ins and outs of a few of the supplement providers.

The two I was most interested in were Blue Cross and UCare. I decided to go with UCare. A key factor for me was whether I could continue to doctor at the Mayo Clinic (3 time cancer survivor) - both of them would allow me to keep my current general practitioner and oncologist at Mayo.

In MN, UCare has 95% of all doctors in network.

I've had United Health Care in the past. The first time, Mayo wasn't in network without prior approval. I called in November to get approval for my Oncology checkup and as the other hospital in Rochester didn't have an Oncology Department - they gave me an approval. So I have my Oncology appointment in early January and they denied the claim as the approval I had received was only good for the calendar year in which it was given - so I ended up being charged for out of network coverage. Cost me an extra $3,000.00.

Bottom line, insurance is regulated by the state you live in. What is good for me might suck for you.

You really need to do your research yourself or have someone you trust in the state you live in recommend the better options for you.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

One thing to keep in mind, Advantage and Supplimental plans are two different things. Be sure to study up on this and get the right one for your situation right off the bat. And most (all?) the various company's supplimental plans have the same coverage for the particular type. We went with plan N which is pretty close to what I had at work. This crap gets real complicated but sure necessary to get it right.

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Medicare Advantage plans are PRIVATE insurers that get paid by Medicare. Almost every insurer offers these now. The BC/BS plans are accepted nationwide anywhere that takes BC/BS, which is just about everywhere. So if you travel, this can be a plus. You need to find out what plans your currents Doctors take. A place like MAYO likely takes just about every insurance. Advantage Plans often have decent vision and dental coverage in addition. I will say that a growing number of Doctors no longer take UHC or AETNA because their payments are so low. Now, if you stick with Red White and Blue Medicare, you will need a secondary, and AARP is the biggest one and almost every Doctor takes it. There is no Dental and vision coverage is very limited. You should research the things Medicare does NOT cover and the things they only cover with a fight.