Merger- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by xten, Jun 2, 2019.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Its rambling click bait

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

For two companies that "no one can afford to drive" - I find it interesting that GM was #1 in sales for 2018 with just under 3,000,000 sales in the USA and Ford was about 500,000 behind in #2 with just under 2,500,000 in sales.

Toyota was #3 with a little over 2,425,000 and Fiat/Chrysler was 4th with just over 2,235,000 in sales in the USA.

Rounding out the top 5 (and it's a distant #5) was Honda with just over 1,600,000.

I guess Ford and GM must be as or more affordable than the other brands...

3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The GM-Ford merger rumor made it to MSN,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/finance-companies/gm-merger-with-ford-looks-more-likely/ar-AAC1TSR

I could see one or the other going out of business, and the other buying pieces of what's leftover, but I just don't see what a true merger would accomplish. GM is not going to build F-150s, and Ford isn't going to build Silverados. There could be more joint development of pieces not so visible to the customer, like transmissions ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear ). Maybe a joint small electric car, to get volumes up and costs down. GM and Toyota built the Matrix and the Vibe together ( https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/art...-matrix-six-of-one-a-half-dozen-of-the-other/ ).

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That doesn't really bolster the credibility for me..................

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

The publication that I originally saw it in is a trade journal in print and on line targeted to collision repair facilities. They have reported articles I have never seen anywhere else. This usually doesn't inspire confidence, but for the most part are credible and accurate. But in this case, I don't see an advantage to either of the companies involved. They're both having problems. Like Dan said, maybe joint ventures on components. Never know, maybe a beginning of the new era of O.E M. Personally, I'm not a fan of this at all. Hope it's just a rumor blown out of proportion.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Your last sentence is what I think could lead to a merger. Ford is way behind in electric vehicle technology and it will take mega dollars to totally catch up.

As to GM not building F150's and Ford not building Silverado's - if there is a merger - it will be a new company that is building F150's and Silverado's. It would be suicide to quit making either one immediately after a merger.

When GM formed in 1908, under the leadership of William Durant, it was a group of small car companies (most known brand was Buick). Later that year they added Oldsmobile and the Rapid Truck company (now known as GMC). In 1909, GM acquired Cadillac and Oakland.

In 1910, Durant is ousted from the company.

In 1911, Durant co founds Chevrolet.

In 1915, Durant becomes GM's largest stockholder and in 1916 Durant becomes president of GM again.

in 1918, GM acquires Chevrolet.

In 1926, Oakland becomes Pontiac...

Basically what I'm pointing out, is that GM was founded as a group of separate car companies that all built their own cars, independently of each other back in the day.

This is how I would see a Ford/GM merger operating for several years. It would be down the road that they would start sharing more parts, than a little further down the road, engines...

As I stated earlier, Ford is already dumping almost everything but trucks and SUV's. They sold about 500,000 cars in 2018 - and 425,000 of those weren't Mustangs. Those Ford car buyers need to have a preferred alternative to the Ford that no longer exists. A merger with GM would provide some possible options.

Maybe the new company would be GFM (General Ford Motors)...

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

It's possible they will form a company like The Champ said to produce separate vehicles. Possibly electric. Toyota/GM did that and so did Mitsubishi/Chrysler when they started Diamond Star Motors. The result of Diamond Star was sold under the discreet corporate names. As for a Furd/GM merger, anti-trust might come into play. Both here in the U.S. and overseas too.

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

The GM/Ford merger has been going on for close to 60 years. It started with small block Chevys being dropped into Model A's and continues with LS into Fox Stang swaps. LOL.

f-body freak likes this.
  9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

You know, you have a point there.

It's very rare you hear about someone putting a Ford engine in a GM product. There's no reason to go through the effort.

But even before you the SBC existed, you had Ford and Mercury owners putting the 1949 331 CI Kettering Cadillac OHV V8 in to replace the flathead's Ford was putting in. They called them Fordillac's.

Oldsmobile had the Rocket 88 OHV engine - but that was only 303 CI in 1949. The Ford owners needed all the power they could get, so they went with the Caddy.

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ford was a bit late to overhead valve engine configurations, and the flat head had\has power and cooling limitations. Before my time, but I'm guessing that's why other overhead valve engines showed up in old Fords in the '50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Y-block_engine

"The Y-block engine is a family of overhead valve V8 automobile engines produced by Ford Motor Company. The engine is known for its deep skirting, which causes the engine block to resemble a Y, whence it gets its name. It was introduced in 1954 and used in Ford cars and trucks to replace the side-valved Ford Flathead V8, and replaced by the Ford FE engine (on medium cars) and the Ford Windsor engine (on small cars) in 1962, and lasted until 1964 in Ford trucks."

"By 1948 the famous Ford Flathead V8 had been developed about as far as it could go,[1] and by the early 1950s the venerable Ford Flathead V8 was antiquated.[2] Ford was always the most conservative of the major automakers, holding onto older designs far longer than GM or Chrysler, but market forces pushed Ford to develop new designs in the 1950s.[2] Management at Ford Motor Company instructed its engineers to develop a new engine for the future. By 1952 Ford had new OHV 6-cylinder engine (215 in³ I-6) and Lincoln had a 317 in³ OHV V8."