Metal prep after blasting for epoxy

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sbauerz28, Dec 19, 2015.

1. sbauerz28

sbauerz28 Veteran Member

I should be to the point soon of having my shell ready to sandblast and spray with epoxy. I think I'm getting some conflicting information about how to prep the metal after blasting. I'm unsure if I need to wipe the shell with a metal prep, or if it is acceptable to epoxy directly over a sandblasted surface? Is the surface finish after blasting acceptable for proper adhesion?

2. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

think I would still blow all the sand or media out of the shell (its get every where like inners of the rockers) then wipe it all down cause of the dust

3. sbauerz28

sbauerz28 Veteran Member

When I blast the car, the rear quarters, rockers, outer roof skin, and outer door hinge panels will be off. This should minimize the amount of trapped sand.

I've got some that say I need to wipe with metal prep first and some say that it's not needed.

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

well as the saying goes paint is 95% prep and 5% spray ..I would wipe down ..great job on your build btw.

5. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

If it is real fresh sand blasted metal, epoxy right over after a wipe down with prep sol. Let it sit for overnight or longer, then better use an anti corrosive surface prep. Ospho is a good one.....

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd blow it off really good, use a tack rag to remove any other particles, wipe down with a wag & grease remover and maybe do a light tag rack before spraying. I wouldn't use any "metal prep", acetone, thinner or anything besides W&G remover. Some might say to not even use that, but I'd rather wipe the metal down with SOMETHING.

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

You need to whipe down. Process will be laid out within the P Sheet you receive with the epoxy. Want the epoxy to stick? Follow the P Sheet.

8. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

This

9. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Best answer. Always follow the application guidelines laid out by the mfg...