Microsoft finally seeing the light

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Gary S, May 7, 2019.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apple gave up a few years ago trying to write an operating system that is as good as Linux/Unix and they dumped their buggy Apple system in favor of BSD (Unix). Now Microsoft is doing much the same. They are putting the Linux kernel into Windows 10. That way they can phase their buggy Windows code out and migrate to the stable and efficient Linux code.
    Sad, but neither Bill Gates or Jobs/Wazniak could match the code writing level that Torvalds achieved. It is also sad that the free code is so much better than the expensive stuff.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534687/microsoft-windows-10-linux-kernel-feature

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I've been in the I.T. Field as a Network Engineer for 25 years and I prefer Linux Mint over any other O.S.

3. Gary S

I agree. I've used Linux exclusively since 1999 when I dumped Windows. A few years ago I tried Linux Mint and like it better than any other version of Linux. After 20 years of Linux, I could never go back to suffer with Windows again.
    And, now Microsoft is going to join me using Linux.

4. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Not entirely. They are embedding the Linux kernel to replace the other Linux emulation options they have, most likely to help developers develop code against Linux, instead of having to go out and buy a Mac etc. You won't see them changing the based kernel of the OS itself though

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Lets not forget that Linux is just a fork from the original UNIX OS that Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan wrote at Bell Labs in the 60's-70's. Those guys were really brilliant.

6. Gary S

The new version of Windows 10 coming soon will require at least 32gb of drive space to operate. Now would be a good time for Microsoft to dump the bloated Windows code in favor of the efficient Linux
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-update-space-requirements/ code.

My Linux installation on my desktop needed 4gb of space for the Operating System, all the drivers, and all the software. Once I added my personal files to it, it now occupies 13gb of space. That leaves my 250gb drive almost empty.
    My Son has the same computer running Windows 7. The install of just the Operating system and drivers ate up 15gb of space on his drive. I don't know how much more it took after he added his programs and his files because I wasn't involved in that part.
    I do know that comparing the two machines for operating speed, my machine seems like it is 10x faster than his Win 7 machine when opening programs and running them.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  7. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Linux trivia:
    Linux is actually just the kernel, while the shell and all the little utilities like rm, cp, ls, grep, awk, etc. are GNU. Then there's the X-Windows implementation, and software running on X, which are also covered by GNU or a similar open license, and not part of Linux.
    The fact that most people refer to the whole OS as Linux doesn't make it correct. Linus's thesis was writing the kernel.

That said, Windows is a mess, though since moving to the NT base for workstations with XP was a huge improvement.