Might be good - new fenders

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OER is coming out with a new front fender (left and right) for 1970-1977. The below info (Classic Industries) is a pretty darn bold statement.

I called OER today and was told the fenders are being made with a new stamp using thicker metal. As to when available, OER said indefinite

Price is $269 per fender (CI and JEGS - only listings so far) which is $78 more then the "X" of AMD and $100 more than Goodmark. Adjust though for JEGS with no oversize truck cost (Goodmark at Summit Racing is $99 and AMD is $110 to Houston) and there is not much cost difference.

Will hold off for as long as I can to buy these

3981841B - 1970-77 Camaro Standard Fender - LH - Restorer's Choice
    Restorer's Choice fenders are our Premier grade fender with a fit and appearance that is as close to OE as possible. Each Premier grade fender, produced with high grade factory gauge steel, features the correct cut-out area for the marker lamp. Fit is accurate as are all of factory body lines and contours.

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can remember the Goodmark units from years ago, the fender lip was really weird looking and the fender itself was way to thin.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I hope they are thicker than 22 gauge. I am installing some 22 gauge Jeep fenders and they sure dent easily. Last time I worked on a Jeep they were 20 gauge. I'm getting curious what stock Camaro fenders are now. I'll see if I can find one to measure for the heck of it.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

The difference between 22 and 20 gauge is 0.00625 of an inch . 6 1/4 thousands of an inch . 4 ounces per sq ft.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like much but every bit helps. 22 gauge feels almost like beer can thickness. The 78 Camaro I checked today is 18 gauge. I hope the repos are at least that thick. They probably are.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. 69venture

69venture Member

AMD has a new fender coming available in a few months. I inquired a week or so ago. May be the same source IDK. Good news is something may be available

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

We will see....."indefinite"....what's that mean??

unless they have the OEM crash marks on the top rail...no go for me. I don't like how this feature is missing and it obvious and super easy for anyone to see they are not originals. I hope they also don't have the air cleaner oval indent on the passenger fender

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Mine are original - one still has the GM sticker on it even. You want 'em? You should probably first check out my build thread to see what kind of shape they are in.

I will be getting at least one new fender. I think it's beyond coincidence that both AMD and OER would come out with improved versions and they not be from the same ODM. Regardless, now that Summit charges sales tax, I'll be driving down to CI to pick up the OER Restorer's Choice fender. Will update everyone once I get the fender(s) fitted.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think the OER one is AMD's newest fender, the verbage is very similar
    New from Auto Metal Direct, 70-77 Chevrolet Camaro front fenders. Made on our exclusive new tools, each fender is stamped from high quality, heavy gauge steel and features correct cut-out for the marker light. All AMD fenders arrive EDP coated to protect against rust and corrosion.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Plus if you look on AMD's site they list CI as carrying their products...

hubedobeedo likes this.