Might be good - new fenders

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

so is that astro turf?

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I wondered if I'd get a comment on that. It's artificial turf made under license from DuPont, and marketed as ForeverLawn. It looks pretty real, but the great part is that because of the thick felt backing (not rubber or plastic) it doesn't get too hot, even with the sun out. Obviously not as real looking or cool to the touch as real grass, but I literally do nothing to maintain it, except spray weeds at the edges and kick bark and leaves off it and every once in a while, and occasionally pick up rat parts my black cat decided not to eat. Which reminds me...

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought that CA had a program , where they would pay you to replace your grass lawn with a artificial one, to save water, great idea!!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

the inner braces are the originals from my 71 ,i had bought a new dynacorn fender and it did not fit for crap .i ended up removing the braces/brackets from both fenders(new and original)when doing so realized there was rust on new fender and bracket (one that goes at rear top to bottom).i sandblasted originals and epoxy primed then screwed them to new fender skin and began alignment which after changing brackets it fit pretty good.one other thing i noticed on the dynacorn braces/brackets was hole locations and mounting locations where off the hood bumpers were way off could not even get them on(to low) will painting the outside of doghouse very soon!

Attached Files:

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

According to my installer, the program I would have qualified for was changed to require that 50% (IIRC) of the formerly natural turf area be replaced with drought-tolerant plants. Some people apparently didn't like incentivizing people to entirely cover their lawns in a plastics product that would some day wind up in a landfill. There's always (at least) two sides of the coin, I guess. I'm just happy that I have an awesome back yard - perfect for croquet and bocce (no lawn darts tho!) - and I really don't have to do anything to keep it that way.

It's been moist here and work is not cooperating, but I'll get back into the garage soon.

hubedobeedo and dave@ztech like this.
  6. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

thats abunch of gunk you don't have to cut it, wheres the fun in that LOL (does look nice) can you tell i am jealous

7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Got the fender to fit pretty well by first bolting it in at the bottom and inside the door jamb, and only after that bolting the topside/inner portion to the cowl and firewall - it stuck way up and I used the cowl bolt to cinch it down. Body line is still a hair off (but front end of door has issues too...), and gaps will still need massaging. But it's close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dave@ztech and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Looking good, the back tires lookin badazz

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

bump for an update from Sal

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

The fender-to-door gap needed significant re-work, in terms both of gap size and being out-of plane. Deciding to get them is really more a matter of necessity given the alternatives - originals are either rusted and/or damaged or impossible to find in good shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Zstar likes this.