Might want to head over to K-mart or Sears for the last time

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

No sears or kmart in my area since at least 4 years. Home Depot and Lowe's have taken over with new and bigger stores,better service,more items

2. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

I haven't been in a Sears store in years. The tools are twice as much as hf and the quality is half of hf. I hate buying Chinese but I'm not going to pay top dollar for something with less quality than I can buy on the other end of town that was also made off shore at half the price and seems to last longer. My craftsman ratchets are junk. Thank God I also have snap on and sk ratchets in my tool box.

3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Still have the same Snap On Tool Box bought new 1985 and some of my ratchet s are SK from the mid 1970's . Those tools don't die. Many were used in my business for 20 years. Most anything I bought from Sears was throw away stuff like saw blades, bits , punches , grinding wheels , files etc.

4. Lammy

Lammy Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was in one that's closing this past weekend. Signs out side said "up to 50% off" Well most all of that is clothing. Tools and other hardware/electronic items were between 10% and 20%. Not really a ton of savings for what I was after. Got what I wanted from their outlet store for even less.

5. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

lol well i'll be buying 20 lawn mower blades..

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

"Sears' sales have dropped from $41 billion in 2000 to $15 billion in 2015. Kmart, which merged with Sears in 2005, has seen its sales plunge from $37 billion to $10 billion in the same period.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!

gramps likes this.
  7. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kmart was sold here in Canada years ago, long gone. The only thing I've used Sears for in the last few years is their website for part numbers to get customers hard to find parts, furnaces etc...
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/newhp.html

8. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Figures, I just bought a Craftsman lawnmower this year. There are only a handful of Sears stores left in my state, and I can probably count the number of Kmarts on one hand and have fingers left over.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My tools are all Craftsman I bought in the early 70s. None of them have ever worn out or broken in 40 years of use. And, I paid a lot less for them than you paid for Snap On. Old Craftsman tools are as good as anything ever made. New ones can be good quality too if you buy carefully and get US made ones. If you settle for the Chinese made ones, you aren't getting the old quality. I buy tools now at a local used tool shop. He has tons of US made Craftsman tools in stock.

10. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is kind of sad to me as one of my first real jobs was working for Sears in the tool/hardware dept. at the local mall which is a ghost town anymore. Even back then (late 90's) things were circling the toilet it seemed and I was a 17 year old kid and knew it. The only plus side is I guess I wont have to worry about that when I get poo canned I was told I could never work for sears or sears affiliated store again...

As for Kmart I don't know how they have stayed open. The last time I went in there (several years ago) it looked the same inside as it did back when I was a kid except rundown and dirty. Absolutely no appeal to make me want to go back in there.