Mobil 1 FTW

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

So my Wife has a 2011 Silverado 5.3 with just over 20K on it and ever since I have changed oil since new inc. the break in oil the truck has always had lifter rattle on startup. Well we had some nice weather here last week so I thought I would change it for her. This time I used some Mobil 1 5W30 I have had in the garage for 2 years so I thought, WTH lets give it a shot. I will tell you the engine is so quiet now and has 0 lifter noise now, 1st time ever for this truck, so I was pretty happy about that. I am so impressed with it I may try some in my own car if it does not have oil leaks as I know the synthetics do leak more than conventional oil. Anyway Pretty happy with Mobil 1.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I have always run the Mobil 1 in my father in law’s ‘08 Chevy. Gd thing DRINKS it. Now at 160,000 this last time I put the high mileage mob1 and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in - kind of a roll of the dice hoping to slow it down as my FIL passed away this past summer and mother in law has been driving it all over creation and at 90 miles away not the easiest for me to keep an eye on the oil level.
    It seems to have worked. It’s still consuming some, but has gone from 1-1.5 qts per thousand miles to a qt over the last 3000.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have used NOTHING but MOBIL1 since 94. Ordered my Chevy k1500 5.7 with a 5 speed... I recal having to fix an oil leak at the rear of the intake manifold @ 230k ..removed manifold and the engine was so clean you could still the sandy appearance of unmachined cast iron. Had a greenish "tint" to every thing but WOW. Filter every 5k and ALL NEW OIL @ 20k

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bought my 05 Silverado new, Mobil 1 10w30 and Wix filter when the computer says to change. Have 220,000+ miles on this truck, still going strong.

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2013 GMC Sierra 5.3, oil change every 5000 mi with a Hastings LF641 filter.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Here is something you guys can do for your LS flex fuel engines that worked on her truck. After finding oil in the intake that should not be there I went into the stealership and asked about this and the dumbazz service writer gave me the "it's normal speech", well he got a some words he did not want to hear. Not only was I po'ed at that clown but told him I was a journeyman GM tech for 25 years, so that shut him up. So what I did was put a puke take in between the hose that goes from the PCV valve and the intake manifold and it worked. Seems the PCV system is too good on these engines and makes them start to suck a lot of oil, now when I change it I just drain the puke tank and guess what? no more oil in the intake and her truck does not use any oil anymore. Got the tank off Amazon and it took me less than an hour to put in.

7. dkcamaro

dkcamaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also LS engine's having problems using oil and smoke on start up, have a updated drivers side valve cover with a bigger drain back in them. First start in the morning, smoke out the tail pipe, it looks like valve guide seals but that's not the case. Look up Dorman part #264-965. The cover works!!

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've never used Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but I do run synthetic oil in all my vehicles no matter age or mileage. I don't see any increase in leaking or oil consumption with synthetic.

9. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think honestly any quality name brand synthetic they will all act the same.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have found over the years even when I just changed oil before I retired that more older engines that leaked oil were the ones that used synthetics. not sure why but I know my son'd old Pontiac Grand Am left a lot more oil stains in the driveway after using the synthetics than with conventional oil. Then in the spring I went back to the non-synth oil and there was a noticeable difference on the driveway with a lot less spots or maybe I left the filter loose. LOL. The first time I had ever seen Mobil 1 used was my buddy had it in his 76 Pontiac T/A and swore by it. He said he looked at some engines with it and all the bearings in other engines looked like new after 100K, too bad for him after about 20K on his Poncho he spun a bunch of bearings in it. Guess you can't spin those stock engines to 6800 and expect the same results.