Moroso Wheel Studs

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by badazz81z28, Aug 18, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

thinking of using these over ARP. They seem to be made out of the same material, but the Moroso studs are black and have the starter nose and the ARP ones I need don’t. Any experience?

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

3. badazz81z28

I have a nice steering kit that made removing them a breeze. As for install the tool also works well. I also have the Lisle tool that’s like a stack of washer but has a bearing and tapered to use a lug nut.

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I put them in with a press and a big block Chevy wrist pin. This doesn't stretch the stud or damage the threads. You will have to remove the axle to do this.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]
    the expensive Moroso studs, seem to drop the non threaded nose, if it were me, and the five studs and nuts are holding on my wheel , I would want the ones, that will not get stripped easy, especially if using a gun to install , and have the better thread count, right? Or am I missing something, I thought the bigger the stud, the better the holding , and less likely to snap off or crack , and the correct lug nit to secure, some of the acorn nuts may not secure the rim to the hub , if you are not paying attention , so I would think, open nuts would also be the best choice, correct??

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thread count....moot....per application
    bigger is better
    course for torque ...fine FOREVER!!!
    max holding torque of ANY threaded bolt grade 2 or grade 9 is 1 1/2 major diameter thread engangement
    so 1/2 xxx bolt MAX holding torque requires no MORE THAN 1 1/2" of thread engagement. NOW ...with a NUT...the NUT must = the same grade as the bolt to achieve max torque. typical is 1.5 threads MORE than the nut or....1.5 threads more than major diameter. (typical nut is legth is = major diameter)

dave@ztech likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

You lost me. I ended up finding out ARP does have a starter nose stud in the size I need (12mmx1.5).

I got the 2.5 UHL versus the 3.25”. I just felt with the 3.25” there was a lot of thread past the nut unnecessarily. I’m using a 1” length open lug nut. With that I will still have ~1/2” of threads past the nut.

What where you referring to 1-1/2?

8. badazz81z28

9. badazz81z28

I ended up getting ARP and Morosos lug nuts