Motor mount install

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Layne02, Sep 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM.

1. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    Ok so the front subframe I am putting on my 80Z28 is not original one ( it was gone when I bought car) , so the subframe I am using is from I believe a 78, and didnt have motor mounts on it.

I am in process of installing drivetrain and have located where mounts need to go. My question is how to get a nut on the bolt inside the frame crossmember.

I know I did this exact same thing on my 73 but do not remember having this hard a time trying to get to the nuts .

There is virtually no access. Any tips?

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
  3. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    Theres a small hole or two you maybe able to get a finger in at top, nothing at bottom to get to bottom nuts

4. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    were they welded, or are there nutserts to bolt into? I have only memories of replacing the part that attached to the motor , not the frame, sorry!

5. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    Well it didnt have motor mounts on it when I got it, but there are holes and doesnt look like anything was ever welded on it. No nutserts.

6. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    I may use some nutserts just to locate mount in place then weld them in.

7. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    At least they will not move, what motor are you putting into it?

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    They are a pain. Try taping the nut to a rod or screw driver to get it on and started

9. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    The easiest way is to remove the lower a-arm.

OK, maybe not that easy, but the alternative is still a bitch. The way I did it was with a variety of tools (distributor wrench, ratchet with extensions/wobble bars/swivel joints), and feed a bolt up from underneath. There is hardly any access and almost no visibility once the tool is in the hole you want to look through, but it can be done.

If you ever do remove the a-arms, put the bolts or nuts in there and weld them on so you don't have the problem in the future.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you're not horribly concerned with "factory correctness"... Put the nut and lock washer on top of the mount.

Drop a fine wire down through the mount and frame.
    (I used floral wire but fishing line tied to the bolt threads also works.)

Wrap the wire in the threads of the bolt and pull it up through the frame and mount.
    Unwrap the wire and put a lock washer and nut on the bolt while holding it with a needle nose pliers.

Hit the nut with an impact wrench and it should tighten without having any tools inside the frame. (Worked for me!)

Even if you need to get a wrench inside the frame to keep them from spinning, it's a lot easier to get the wrench (distributor wrench) on the bolt head rather than attempting to get a nut started in this poorly accessible location.

Good Luck!

PS. I was able to swap incorrect mounts with the correct ones in about 30 minutes this way.

dave@ztech likes this.