motor mount Q's

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 93formula, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 93formula

93formula Member

well a few years ago i had a mechanic owe me some money so i thought id make him do some work for me, it was just to drop in a lt1/4l60e into my 79 and i would do the rest of the conversion. well it turned out the hack decided to mount the tranny in the stock location and weld the mounts to the cross member. and he didnt even do it straight, the motor is visibly crooked. when i asked about the welding, he stated that it was a solid mount now and that it was the way to go and the welds wouldnt break yadda yadda yadda. well since then i moved onto other projects and never got back to my 79. i plan on doing so this summer so my questions are where do i start?? i gotta rip the block and tranny out of there, cut or break the welds some how and pray that i can rebolt the mounts in the stock location. any tips? i guess i have to buy new mounts now, and since this is for the lt1, i think its the same correct? can anyone point me in the right direction for a new set of motor mounts?

thanks

2. ligtag

ligtag New Member

I put that motor combo in my 79 and made my own cross member. You should be able to just unbolt the mount from the tranny and jack it up enough so you can get the cross member out. Then you will either half to fabricate one or you can move it back and redrill the holes on the subframe. I used the stock 79 Camaro engine mounts. I bought new ones from National Parts and everything bolted in and the headers even fit right.

3. 93formula

93formula Member

thanks for the info, but my main concern is the motor mounts, the idiot welded them on in the wrong spots to the k member.

4. ligtag

ligtag New Member

The motor mounts just bolt to the cross member so you will have to cut them off and grind off all the welding and the threaded holes will probably still be there. It sounds like the guy didn't do a good enough job to fill the holes so you should be fine you just will have to do a little work to get there.

5. 93formula

93formula Member

yeah i think it was when i saw it i was like WTF, then when i noticed it was crooked, i was W T F, and gave up a for a while.

6. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

just a thought but it might be easier to find a donor front subframe. they usually sell pretty cheap and depending on your location, which i was to lazy to lookup you might have junk yards all around. that way you can have the subframe out cleaned, painted and the enging tranny bolted to it.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

When you say the engine is mounted crooked...
    Do you mean shifted to the passenger side of the engine bay about 1"?

If so, That's normal.

Is it causing any problem?
    I would consider leaving it alone if it isn't. (Besides looking a bit off.)

8. 93formula

93formula Member

yeah it sits crooked, i cant remember which side it was off to, i havent even looked at it in the past few years, ill have to check again.

so its supposed to be crooked??????

the mounts arent even bolted down the idiot welded em.

im in surrey BC, canada not too many 2nd gens around anymore and the junk yards around here dont seem to carry old cars too much. do these k members drop out like the 4th gens? can i bolt the motor to it and swing it up from underneath the car like i can with a 4th gen?

9. 1981coupe400ci

1981coupe400ci Veteran Member

dont the LT1's still use the same traditional mounts as the normal V-8?

10. 93formula

93formula Member

yes they do, i gues i dread it more then i actuallly should, just dont know how hard it will be to remove the welds.