moving car without frontend in and out of shop ??

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by z28code, Jan 4, 2012.

1. z28code

z28code Member

May 4, 2008
    ont
    not really sure were this post should be ?
    im taking my front subframe off my 79 camaro and was wondering some ideas to make it roll in and out off the shop, so I can sand blast the firewall ? the rear end is still in the car, there is alot of gravel just outside the shop , so casters would be hard to push ! and ideas on building somthing ?? and were to mount/how to mount on the car ?? thanks :confused:

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    moving dollies under the front floor pans?...

Long 2x4s where the subframe would mount and rickshaw that thing?..

Go with the first. put down plywood, etc in front of it as you're pushing it along.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm assuming you still have the interior and rear suspension on the car.

If this is the case, the best thing to do is to fabricate a mini sub frame to attach to the front mounts and get some heavy duty 8" pneumatic casters so that you can roll it out onto the gravel but also move it around your garage/shop.

The best way to go about this is to get a piece of steel to span across the front subframe mounts so you can put a jack under it.
    Cut and weld a couple pieces as stand-offs that would have holes in it for you to use the existing subframe bolts to secure to the body.

4. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    P.S., take the doors off too.. that will take a few hundred pounds off the weight of the shell.

P.P.S., Sy does it the right way. I would do it the redneck way.

lol..have a couple big guys sit on the tailpanel... might be able to lift the cowl with your hands then...hahahhaa

... hmm... cherry picker attached to the front and drag it along? Still tough over gravel... unless you get a picker with large rubber wheels.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. 82Vettrin

82Vettrin Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Bardstown, KY
    an old house trailer axle and some combobulation of engineering to attach it to the car. ?
    IIRC the axle assembly should be wider than the car body and possibly just sit under the body.

where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

6. chauncey1970

chauncey1970 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2008
    WEST SUSSEX uk
    I got a friend to help lift the front and moved mine like that it was easier than I thought then you can put axle stands under the front subframe mounts

7. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    I basically took a 4x4 post, cut it down to fit between the front subframe mounts on the body. I took the pad off my jack which left a hole in the jack. Get a piece of tubing that fits the hole and drill a hole in the middle bottom of the 4x4. Then you can use your jack as a pull/push for the f/e.

8. br80z

br80z Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I did basicaly the same thing a 4x4 post and a hydrolic jack in the middle. but i only had to push it back and forth just a few feet on cement, not gravel.

9. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    Ooops, I did not see the gravel part. That would be tough w/the floor jack that is for sure.
    How about same concept but w/a trailer dolly like this?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=VDoGT_WGD4bA2gW--_22Aw&ved=0CLkBEPMCMAg

10. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    This is what I made from scrap steel I had laying around. Bought the trailer jack for $17 from HF. Gott the job done and it worked great. I set it down on the jack stands to keep it from rolling while working on the car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012