My 80 Z Clone (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by J. Chris Davis, Jul 26, 2013.

1. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Changing it up a little bit with the tail lights. I like how dark the red turned out and don't think I will be smoke tinting the tail lights like I did with the front side markers. Rather I'm keeping it this dark red and going to color the clear lenses the same. Ordering 4 tail light sockets with 3 wires 2 terminals and a couple more 1157 red LEDs . Going to wire these so all the lights will be on with the tail lights and the inside 2 lights on each side will both function as turn signals. The outer lights will still be brake lights. I will add reverse lights in the future once I decide what I want to do there and where I want them. I'll have more pictures once I get the clear lens colored and attached to the rest of the tail light lenses.

2. J. Chris Davis

Got all three lenses back together and tinted red. Just need to clear coat them next. I should have the new tail light sockets Monday so I can get that rewired next week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the tails. I have a similar idea planned. Take a look at my thread.

I'm even thinking about remolding the lens in one piece (with no seams) with a room temp DIY plastic molding kit.

Can you get a pic of an LED bar or something behind it? I'm curious how even the light looks over the seams of the glued lenses.

4. J. Chris Davis

5. J. Chris Davis

Here's an original diagram and then the one I changed as to how I'm wiring my tail lights. I have the sockets, but still waiting for the correct LED bulbs to get here since they sent me the wrong ones. I need to do some color sanding and polishing to the tail light lenses now that the clear coat is on. I should be getting back to this by Saturday. I also noticed the back up sockets are a hair different as to how they will snap into the housing, but should be easily remedied.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Did you have cracks in the lenses? If so, how well did the tint hide them? My OEM lenses have a ton of those little spiderweb cracks. Repair would be better than replace. Cheaper too.

7. J. Chris Davis

You could see hairline cracks in my clear lenses which with the red tint you don't see on them now.

8. J. Chris Davis

Blu-By-U 79Z and NeoNeuro like this.
  9. J. Chris Davis

Small update. Got the lenses clear coated and they just didn't look that great so I've sanded them all back down and going to redo that. I had to order a couple of load resisters because I was getting some power feeding the other tail lights when the turn signals were on lighting them up slightly. I'll put one on each side of the turn signal leads and that should fix that problem.

10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty awesome man. I'm glad to see More progress on your car!