My 81 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 81 Sport Coupe, Nov 28, 2013.

1. N.E.R.

N.E.R. Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Looking Good! Looks like a solid car to start with.

I have new and used parts if you need them.

Rick

2. zd4speed

zd4speed Member

i dig the red.

3. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

just an update on my thread, I basically found out the building I have my car in was sold, so over spring break I got busy on the camaro, I will post better pictures of what I did when I get the chance. I replaced the inner and outer rockers and starting working on replacing the full floor. to my surprise the oer rockers fit really well with minor work to them. IMO the ones I put in are better than the factory job of installing them because the factory didn't line up anything like the inner and outer rocker together, and the curves in the floor didn't match the curves in the rockers. this stuff was only minor but still not perfect. I measured everything perfectly when replacing the rusted out with new, and was happy when I measured the floor and compared it to the car. everything seems perfect. I still have to fab up some patch panels but anyhow heres what I did, again I apologize about the poor pics.

Drivers side inner/outer rocker
    [​IMG]

This is the Driver's side lower front patch I bought, these patch panels don't even come close to to orginal, I had to cut about 2 in. extra on the bottom off and I rolled the edge, then the quarter body line didn't match the patch so I had to take off the top half.
    [​IMG]

Heres some of the floor I cut out...their really wasent much to cut lol I thought the toughest part of doing this was cutting out the torque boxes on the frame rails. I had some cheap autozone chisels for my air chisel which kept on dulling. I ended up getting some snap on ones off ebay which helped out alot. I swear you could pound on the snap on chisels all day with a sludge hammer and they would never dull.
    [​IMG]

This is the 81 full floor I got from NPD, their is no difference from the original and it saved me a ton of time and money. as you can see it comes with all the bracing, torque boxes, all nuts and seat belt brackets, and ever the guides for wires. it is really no different from the original.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. 81 Sport Coupe

just wanted to throw in a couple of pics in my progress thread. their not the best and I wish I took more of the floor going in the car, i'm also glad they started making new toeboards which should be in the mail anytime can't wait!
    [​IMG]
    Me in the car lol
    [​IMG]
    so basically using my air chisel i'm down to the floor subframe brace, when I removed this the subframe bolts twisted and broke in half, thats how rotted they were. the front sub frame and rear frame rails however were spotless.
    [​IMG]
    New floor sitting in the car! their is an oval shaped indent in the torque box frame rail piece on the floor which sits in the rear frame rails. thats how you know the floor is square to the frame of the car, the front sub-frame bolts should line up as well with the sub-frame. to get the floor in I had to cut the passenger x-brace out to get it in the door, I also had to cut the brace above the wheel wells out. nothing shifted, I put a couple of full floors in older fords for some people and this repo for the camaro had to be the best fitting hands down, after I was satisfied with the floor fitment I then welded the torque boxes to the frame rails, and used sheet metal screws along the rockers and inside the car to draw the floor in tight. I then took each screw out and used the hole as a spot weld.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. 81 Sport Coupe

the only down fall to taking out the floor was seeing that one adjuster on the transmission dun dun dun...th250 lol other than that I had alot of fun installing the new floor.

6. Eighty1Camaro

Eighty1Camaro Veteran Member

Looks like you are making some good clean progress omn this car, the floor pan looks nice, That will make a huge difference!

7. junkmankev

junkmankev New Member

THANK YOU! for this posting I have been pulling my hair out over my 80 floorpans was trying to use sherman's 70-81 full pans fits "75-81" YEAH RIGHT that's total BS was looking for a solution. I Joined this group this week saw your post earlier today ran down to NPD and got this pan holy crap I would have had pans in my Z last year! Three wasted weeks and $500 later I Finally see some light at the end of the tunnel!!! THANKS