My Barn Find

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Termin8r, May 22, 2010.

1. Termin8r

Termin8r Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am not too good with computers, but here goes.

So, two weeks ago my friend Mike calls me and says his cousin is moving to Texas and his wife doesn't want him to take his old cars with him. Yeah, so what I say? Well, Mike says one of the cars is supposed to be an old camaro thats been sitting a while and do I want to go see it? "SURE!" Turns out it's like a mile from my work when we drive up to this old garage.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We go in the side door and climb around a 1920's truck to see this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Mike thinks its a '71 (He has a '67 RS) but i don't really care what year it is, my excitement is overwhelming and I start to check it out. The body was real straight so I check a few things. It says SS 350 on the fenders. SS on the grille. 12 bolt rear end. 300hp 350. 4 speed. Low back buckets with headrests. I write down the VIN. I go home and check the internet and discover THIS website. Through here I discover that it's a 1970 car.
    I love your site. Fantastic. You guys are really something. The wealth of information and knowledge and the brotherhood of the members is priceless. Kudos to all the great work and great cars so many of you have. Then, a week later I meet the owner, Frank. He tells me he ordered it in the beginning of 1970 and waited 3 months for it to arrive. Put some mag wheels on it and had his car. Had a fender and some paint work done in the 70's, but otherwise stock. Well, those mags leaked a little air and he got sick and tired of putting air in them and then sometime in 1982 he got busy, parked it one day, and that was that. 28 years later, here we are. We make a deal and I just bought myself my first camaro.
    I takes me several days to get the old original rally wheels some new tires from a spare set off one of my other cars and get it up in the air again. The 4 speed is locked in gear (integral with the steering lock, right?) so I remove the driveshaft and the car rolls when I push it!
    Last weekend I go up with a few friends, my dad and a flatbed tow to give the car its first bath of sunlight (and water) in a long, long time.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The road to recovery has begun. We gave it a quick wash in the street and stuck it in my garage.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The only real rust seems to be the battery tray. Thank you California! Anyways, as time and money allow, another camaro will be saved and put on the street again. Wish me luck!
    Will

2. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is just awesome! Congrats on your find. Keep us posted on your work.

3. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

wow.. what a great find.. cant wait to see it up and running..

4. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

Wow thats a great story good luck on the restoriation process

looks like it won't need a serious one and your right this is a great site

you will be glad you found it

5. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

VERY COOL!! Welcome to the site......it has a ton of info and alot of good people willing to the help out!!

6. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

man o man i cant stop looking at it.. im faking the funk and cloning my 71 into an ss.. well with the exception that ill be using the split bumpers. but hey its mine so ill make it mine. you plan to reuse the old halibrand style mags...

7. SKD

SKD Veteran Member

wow, awesome find there. it looks to be in decent condition. love the story behind it too...lol

8. Double J

Double J Veteran Member

Great find congrads.............welcome !!!

9. CarCrazy_Z

CarCrazy_Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Very nice, congrats on your find.

10. Whitey

Whitey Member

My eyes actually Welled up with tears as I read the story Great find!!!