My Elderly Neighbor tree

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jul 29, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Back in May we had a tree trimmer come around looking for trees to be trimmed up or taken down. Now the old guy across the street is in his mid 80's so when they came to asking him if he wanted any work done the guys gave him a price so he said ok. They asked me and mine was pretty cheap $250 to clean out a big maple tree, you bet that's a good deal. So when it came time to trim the old guy got cold feet and backed out, I told him that was a mistake and if something were to happen it will cost you double that. Well that day came around yesterday as a huge and I mean huge limb busted off his tree in his backyard and put 2 good size holes in his roof in the rain. I asked what it was to take it all down and clean it up, just like I said, only it was triple the cost as it was an emergency. Just like the FRAM ad, pay me now or pay me later. It not the first time he has done this on stuff either. Sometimes I think he and my dad were related somehow. I would have helped him but there was too much and my chain saw would never handle the big stuff.

2. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

But now Insurance will pay for it

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I think he said the deductable was $1000.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Would a tree trimming have taken down the "huge and I mean huge limb" in question? Probably not. He would have paid for the trimming and the current clean up. He basically saved the price of the tree trimming.

Sure he has a $1,000 deductible, but he's also getting a new roof.

carr911 likes this.
  5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

...and probably new sheetrock and insulation due to the water damage during the rain storm.

6. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Those situations are terrible.
    I had 3 Silver Maples very close to the house when we moved in.
    I had one limb hit the roof and I took that tree out.
    Had another limb hit the roof..and i took all the close trees out.
    Wife was mad!
    She said the only reason she liked the house was the big trees.
    Nearly 30" diameter at the base and I removed them with an electric Remington 14" chain saw.
    I modified the bar oil hole in the tiny tank and the chain stayed tight after that.

After the stump in the front yard rotted away for 3 years i dug a huge hole and planted an Oak.
    It was 13 feet tall and 4" diameter and now 10 years later it is prettier and taller than the Maple I cut down and is 24" at the base.
    It is a cross between a Schumard and a Pin Oak.

I had an old book on Trees and it stated to NOT plant a Silver Maple within 100 feet of any structure or concrete.
    This neighborhood is littered with those.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Silver Maple is like a big weed, shallow roots will find their way into everything.

budro6968 likes this.
  8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

WE had a bunch off Red leaf maples and China berry. Every time a big storm hit the Maple would drop large branches. Very brittle. The china berry was not so bad but the berries would really be a pain. Plus all the rats and squirrels would come for them and build nests in my garage or where ever. The next 2 neighbors on my side had several too. Plus every year they drop millions of whirlybird Seed. I took mine out with a 14" Electric Remington. Hell of a little chainsaw. But I had to deal with the seeds for years. One day I was talking with the neighbor and complained about the way every year I get invaded by all the seeds from her trees. 2 days later she had a tree crew take all of them out. I used to get on her roof to trim her trees B/C they would drop branches on her roof. I guess she was tired too.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I had a huge one when I moved in. The roots destroyed the garage floor and I finally cut it down after it smashed a car I had just bought. I carry comprehensive so insurance paid for the car but not all the parts I had bought restoring it to a decent daily driver. An Oak sapling got started and it's turned into a great shade tree for the afternoon. I've got a Magnolia that will be coming down as the previous owners planted it over the water line. I'm waiting for the seed pods to erupt and I'll start a bunch of seedlings. Then another one will get planted away from the house and water lines.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Our little town used to have several beautiful tree lined streets. The streets were laid with brick from way back, they say it was laid by an Indian crew that got with the Welsh who were into brick making. Over the years those streets got really rough due to water and sewer lines and repairs so the city got some grants and paved them. One by one those magnificent trees came down hemmed in by the paved streets and concrete sidewalks that destroyed the roots. I sure agree that those fast growing seedy maples are a nuisance too. All over around here. Almost as bad as pine trees that people get free and plant in their yards next to the property lines. Pretty for about ten years then just ugly monsters.